RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Best place to mount my generator?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Best place to mount my generator?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/19 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WayneAt63044 wrote:

In the bed of the truck forward of the rear axle is best for weight distribution.

+1 a 25ft cord should reach it in the bed.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a cheap Tonneau cover for my truck on eBay and keep the Champion gen under it. Simply open it up when I want to run the generator.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Truck Bed

stevemorris

ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/19 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

another vote for the truck bed!
also as somebody else already said, keep it protected from the weather with either a truck cap or tonneau cover
with a truck cap, you can run it in there with the liftgate and tailgate open of course

2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

eend

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes truck bed, I run it in the bed with the tail gate closed and all the noise go's upward, I have a 2000 watt Champion invertor.

* This post was edited 08/02/19 06:45am by eend *

2014 Mazda CX5
2015 F150 ecoboost
1993 Airstream sovereign 21
1971 Boler 1300

DesertTracker

Ridgecrest, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a Stromberg Carlson trailer tray over the propane tanks and bolted my Champion 3100 inverter generator to it on my Springdale 189. I removed the wheels and used the axle and the front pad mounts as mounting points so it will slow down a thief. At around $180, the tray is kind of expensive for some bent tube and a tray, but it bolts up solidly and works great so I guess its worth it. Strangely, it does not increase the measured tongue weight the full amount of the tray / gen combo; I think it was 85% of the total if I remember. I don't have a front window so it works for me.

On a previous trailer (Pioneer 18t6) I welded rails on the frame and mounted on the rear ((not on the bumper, but on rails welded to the frame). I think the total weight was around 160 lbs or so, but it only decreased tongue weight around 40 lbs measured. I was still at around 12% tongue weight when loaded for travel.

It was in a lockable aluminum pickup bed box that I modified with a few computer fans and vent doors and ran the exhaust thru the wall to the outside. I also glued ceiling tiles to the inside of the box. It was an open frame gen and with the box closed and the vents open, it was pretty quiet. I eventually updated to an inverter gen and it was almost undetectable then. I have heard that mounting on the back of a trailer will beat the gen to death and throw the tongue weight to an unsafe condition, but neither was the case with my setup.

I would recommend measuring the tongue weight after either installation, front or rear, and adjust as necessary. I am fortunate that a friend has the nice Sherline scale that he willingly loans out...

2011 Keystone Springdale 189
2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 V10 4.10

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Best place to mount my generator?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS