|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Sad state of our National Parks-II

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 20  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/19 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have experienced the futility of asking for solidarity for some causes I thought we share.

So I'm writing for the perchance that someone can get an idea or two.

My own life and management philosophy was that "any change has to start with me".

And this is my own as regards national parks and other public facilities.

!. I don't trash it and thread lightly and thoughtfully.

2. I pick up after others.

3. I tell people of the regulations. And felt it my duty to report to authorities the violations if they don't heed me.

4. I support environment and national/state/county/city outdoors and wildlife initiatives.

5. I write to federal/state/county/city to add my voice and beliefs on issues.

6. I volunteer (and again, this is my latest experience: I put out my name and was told I might not get a return call because of the current situation of lack of permanent personnel to supervise volunteers. Told also that we cannot do it on our own because of safety issues and for some activities, we might do more harm than good when a scientist or experts are needed to direct us).

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/19 09:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

lane hog wrote:

I wonder how many of the people here complaining about the state of the National Parks are using reduced rate passes vs. the $80 annual pass, and taking advantage of the 50% discount on camping.

Discounts for seniors and the disabled mean less money to be used in the parks, yet the vehicles they drive have the same impact on the roads and their RV's occupy the same amount of space that a "full price" visitor's would...

And I wonder if you were permanently disabled as a result of serving your country and no longer able to earn the same money you used to / could have if you would mind paying “full price” to see your country and have a little R & R with your family?

Freedom is not free, and those that enjoy it are rarely the ones who pay for it.

If you can afford an RV and the gas for it, you can probably afford to pay full price for the resources you consume at a National Park.

Entitlements are why this country is going broke. Everyone wants someone else to pay the way for them. Look at the bozo’s running for office. They want to give away free healthcare, free college, loan forgiveness for kids who chose a degree in 19th Century French Gender Studies (and wondering why they can’t find a job)... but “the rich” will somehow be taxed enough to pay for it.

Math doesn’t work that way. If everyone is paying half-price at the NPS campgrounds, there will be half as much money available to maintain them...

Disabled vets are the only group who should get a free ride. Simply being old isn’t a good enough reason (my wife is retired, and I’m counting down days to retirement).

• 2005 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C (was a three-time Jayco owner)
  • 2012 MasterTow Dolly pulling a 2003 Jeep Liberty (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango, Honda Odyssey...)
  • Onan Microquiet 4000, plus 130W solar and Honda EU2000i twins for backup

Grodyman

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 01:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

We see our national parks being sold off to oil rigs in pristine lands, oil and mining being sold in our other parks, coal runoff being put back in our streams, air quality under attack and climate change being ignored. The parks are ours not any particular administration. Any monies gathered by making our enviroment worse should be dumped back into the parks it is the least the thieves of the public could do.

A Duramax Diesel and a giant trailer, a full tank of diesel and a Honda gas generator....and you complain about “climate change.”

Stop preaching and walk the walk.

2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 07:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lane hog wrote:

Entitlements are why this country is going broke. Everyone wants someone else to pay the way for them. Look at the bozo’s running for office. They want to give away free healthcare, free college, loan forgiveness for kids who chose a degree in 19th Century French Gender Studies (and wondering why they can’t find a job)... but “the rich” will somehow be taxed enough to pay for it.

Some could argue the country is "going broke" because many people, including about half the people that work for money, think the only people that should pay taxes are the people that work for their money.
If you look back to the time in our country's history, you would see that there was a great growth in the middle class, (the people that spend money to make the economy grow) at the same time a large percentage of the population was given free or very low cost college education. At the same time, the tax rate on higher incomes was much higher than it has been at any time since.
As to the wrinkly discount. The lake I go to most often, has both State Park and COE CGs. The State charges $1.00 more than COE. If the state was full, we would make or res at COE. But now that I have the discount, I put up with the less favorable sites, and driving thru both, I bet without the discount that COE CG would bring in less money.
BTW, as host at a state park, I know there is a space on the check-in program for donations. Bet there is a box for that on the Fed program to.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 07:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grodyman wrote:

tomman58 wrote:

We see our national parks being sold off to oil rigs in pristine lands, oil and mining being sold in our other parks, coal runoff being put back in our streams, air quality under attack and climate change being ignored. The parks are ours not any particular administration. Any monies gathered by making our enviroment worse should be dumped back into the parks it is the least the thieves of the public could do.

A Duramax Diesel and a giant trailer, a full tank of diesel and a Honda gas generator....and you complain about “climate change.”

I guess you don't know that diesels are greener than everything but electric and there are no 2500 electrics...yet. My giant trailer weighs far less than most 5ers. The Honda genny uses far less fuel than other gennys. So enough on the soap box stuff.
Yep I complain about a government ignoring climate change and my use of a few hundred gallons of diesel each year likely doesn't compare to you going to work.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/19 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

lane hog wrote:

Some could argue the country is "going broke" because many people, including about half the people that work for money, think the only people that should pay taxes are the people that work for their money.
If you look back to the time in our country's history, you would see that there was a great growth in the middle class, (the people that spend money to make the economy grow) at the same time a large percentage of the population was given free or very low cost college education. At the same time, the tax rate on higher incomes was much higher than it has been at any time since.
As to the wrinkly discount. The lake I go to most often, has both State Park and COE CGs. The State charges $1.00 more than COE. If the state was full, we would make or res at COE. But now that I have the discount, I put up with the less favorable sites, and driving thru both, I bet without the discount that COE CG would bring in less money.
BTW, as host at a state park, I know there is a space on the check-in program for donations. Bet there is a box for that on the Fed program to.

Well said by both of you. Nothing is free and taxing the rich is not the answer although some who are politicians and rich say that is will work. Millions of people cheer with delight when those who seek to deceive them shout "Free" Free" Free" and tax the rich"

From the tax foundation: "In 2016, the top 50 percent of all taxpayers paid 97 percent of all individual income taxes, while the bottom 50 percent paid the remaining 3 percent. The top 1 percent paid a greater share of individual income taxes (37.3 percent) than the bottom 90 percent combined (30.5 percent).Nov 13, 2018"

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Grodyman

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 10:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

Grodyman wrote:

tomman58 wrote:

I guess you don't know that diesels are greener than everything but electric and there are no 2500 electrics...yet. My giant trailer weighs far less than most 5ers. The Honda genny uses far less fuel than other gennys. So enough on the soap box stuff.
Yep I complain about a government ignoring climate change and my use of a few hundred gallons of diesel each year likely doesn't compare to you going to work.

You can justify your hypocrisy any way you like. Fossil fuel is fossil fuel, and if you believe in man caused "climate change" then you should give yours up, not try and give yourself a pass and state that your use is less than someone else's when you can't possibly know. Why wait for the government to come along and make you give yours up?

Leftists: Fossil Fuels equal Global Warming

You: Giant trailer with diesel engine and gasoline electric power.

I know you are offended, and you will probably come on here and say something stupid again like "my giant trailer weighs less than most 5ers" to convince yourself that you are somehow doing your part to fight "climate change," but deep down, you know your are a hypocrite.

* This post was edited 08/04/19 10:48am by Grodyman *

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 04:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Charlie D. wrote:

From the tax foundation: "In 2016, the top 50 percent of all taxpayers paid 97 percent of all individual income taxes, while the bottom 50 percent paid the remaining 3 percent. The top 1 percent paid a greater share of individual income taxes (37.3 percent) than the bottom 90 percent combined (30.5 percent).Nov 13, 2018"

Well, I bet if until the year 2011, when I retired, if the top 10% of highest income paid the same percentage of their income in taxes as I did, the budgets would look much different.
It is the people that make enough to buy everything they need, and some of what they want, and do it with time left over to enjoy what the have that makes the economy grow. Take a many that has enough to buy anything he wants, and give him more. He is not going to buy more things people make, he has everything. And the only service he will add to what he already buys is he will buy a politician, and ads to convince voters they should pay more taxes, or go without the best government services, but he pays enough...

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Charlie D. wrote:

Well, I bet if until the year 2011, when I retired, if the top 10% of highest income paid the same percentage of their income in taxes as I did, the budgets would look much different.
It is the people that make enough to buy everything they need, and some of what they want, and do it with time left over to enjoy what the have that makes the economy grow. Take a many that has enough to buy anything he wants, and give him more. He is not going to buy more things people make, he has everything. And the only service he will add to what he already buys is he will buy a politician, and ads to convince voters they should pay more taxes, or go without the best government services, but he pays enough...

Sorry but it isn't 2011 anymore and today we are going a TRILLION more in debt annually because of the "new and improved" tax codes.

As much as we see most of the USA each year, yes each year we go at least half way and on the off years we go to LV and AZ from Michigan and then down and across to FL. Sorry but there is one heck of a lot of poverty that is evident especially in the southern states. We are saddened in Fl because we are there the longest and each month we give heavily to the food bank in our camping area. There really is no good reason for this in our country. I also hate Wallmart and others that do not pay a proper wage for a person to live on yet reap billions each year in profits. I guess that is me but from my drivers seat we have been there done that often enough to know this country needs to do better.

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, am I surprised that with 11 pages of postings that this is not a political discussion nor are there are any personal attacks, or are there...

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 20  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Sad state of our National Parks-II
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS