|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Sad state of our National Parks-II

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 20  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/19 11:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

lane hog wrote:

Maybe it's time to raise the user fees.

Yeah, I know, some of you want your free/reduced rate access, as long as everyone else pays for your free stuff...

Yes, raising the fee again might help. How much would the fee need to go up to pay for the backlog? And would that price increase reduce the number of visitors to the point fees bring in less money?

I'll suggest that the problems with the NPS, specifically CG's, is they're stressed with too many visitors.

Sites should be variably priced by the foot and axles -- the guy bringing a 40' Class A with a SUV toad can likely afford more than the guy in a 10' popup pulled by a minivan... follow the airline's lead on pricing.

Reducing visitors would be a plus, because the larger parks are over-run as it is, and over-use has bigger impacts than under-use.

• 2005 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C (was a three-time Jayco owner)
  • 2012 MasterTow Dolly pulling a 2003 Jeep Liberty (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango, Honda Odyssey...)
  • Onan Microquiet 4000, plus 130W solar and Honda EU2000i twins for backup

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/19 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

But as what's been happening, the administration is boasting strong economy and yet the parks' budget is still getting bigger and bigger cuts. And putting salt to the wound by appointing people who are actually against the agency's missions.

And the "non-political" comments from Yosemite Sam continue.

Don't you think I didn't voice my criticism and signed off on a petition to restore parks' funding during the last administration when the economy was showing signs of recovery.

The problem with uber partisanship is the whiny, wow and we know the whiny in chief, complaining and seeing politics under every rock they happen to live.

You obligation is to prove the post as untrue, not whine that it's political -- Argumentation & Debate 101.

caver

Missouri, The Cave State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/19 12:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

DallasSteve wrote:

Ok, please explain how any discussion of funding/maintenance/existence of the public parks, or anything else that is owned in common, can happen, other than talking about the policies of the people we elect to control the common? I can understand nobody wants dispersions cast on the ones we think are acting in our interest, but if we are not allowed to look at other policies that might be contrary to our interest can we call ourselves educated?

The PLBADC forum is under the grouping Destinations. This The PLBDAC forum states Share your experiences at places spectacular in scenery, rich in recreation or historic in nature. I feel your discussion would be better served in ATC. I don't come here for political discussions. The key word is Boondocking which many of us enjoy either because we like to get away from people or want to save money or both.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

caver wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

DallasSteve wrote:

Ok, please explain how any discussion of funding/maintenance/existence of the public parks, or anything else that is owned in common, can happen, other than talking about the policies of the people we elect to control the common? I can understand nobody wants dispersions cast on the ones we think are acting in our interest, but if we are not allowed to look at other policies that might be contrary to our interest can we call ourselves educated?

The PLBADC forum is under the grouping Destinations. This The PLBDAC forum states Share your experiences at places spectacular in scenery, rich in recreation or historic in nature. I feel your discussion would be better served in ATC. I don't come here for political discussions. The key word is Boondocking which many of us enjoy either because we like to get away from people or want to save money or both.

I thought Public Lands would include National Parks. I understand not liking political discussion. But a large percentage of RVers are interested in National parks, USACOE campgrounds, and other lands. The people vote for people we expect to represent our interest in the public lands. In most things, it is hard to educate others without influencing opinion, or making others with or without education, declare you are taking one side of the issue. I would prefer that everybody that is interested in the Public Lands do some research. Find out who has been put in charge, do their ideas agree with yours? Then call your employee, the senator that claims to represent you, and let them know what you think. But I understand, much better to spend the time and electrons discussing who got a touchdown in last week's soccer game.

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/19 04:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Original post sounds pretty political to me.
"Just recently been to one of the most popular national park and the results of funding cuts (7%), fund diversion ($22 million for the frivolous July 4 parade) and distorted priorities or even hostility towards the environment (area around Sequoia National Park are set to be opened for oil explorations).

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 05:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just for S&G, went back thru and counted;
27 posts stated the discussion was political. And of those 20 only stated the discussion was political and added nothing to the discussion...

caver

Missouri, The Cave State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 10:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

But I understand, much better to spend the time and electrons discussing who got a touchdown in last week's soccer game.

I've actually volunteered in a national park and you?

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/19 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

caver wrote:

I've actually volunteered in a national park and you?

Well, I did spend a couple months as host at a State Park CG. Was a reminder that I am not the proper person to deal with public on a daily bases.

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/19 05:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

I thought Public Lands would include National Parks. I understand not liking political discussion. But a large percentage of RVers are interested in National parks, USACOE campgrounds, and other lands.

In the 15 years or so I’ve been visiting these forums, PLBDC has been about boondocking and dry camping only. Look at the sticky’s....all boondocking.

Discussion on established campgrounds on public lands.... has always been over in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions....
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/29.cfm

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/19 05:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lane hog wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

I thought Public Lands would include National Parks. I understand not liking political discussion. But a large percentage of RVers are interested in National parks, USACOE campgrounds, and other lands.

In the 15 years or so I’ve been visiting these forums, PLBDC has been about boondocking and dry camping only. Look at the sticky’s....all boondocking.

Discussion on established campgrounds on public lands.... has always been over in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions....
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/29.cfm

You quote me, so I feel I need to respond.
In many threads I see signs where Mods have decided a thread was started in the wrong place and moved it. Over 3 weeks, and on page 19, maybe others think the location works. I never moved it, just responded with thought to what is in the thread, not where it is.
And also, I am certain that the hostility of the heads of departments, if left un-checked will lead to less chances of enjoying the parts that are not currently developed. To think "I don't use CGs, so why should I care about CGs" is pretty short sighted, IMHO.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 20  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Sad state of our National Parks-II
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS