RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Replacement Fridge or New Cooling Unit

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Replacement Fridge or New Cooling Unit

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kmb1966 wrote:

ScottG wrote:

My new Norcold is an absolute pile of junk and I'll probably be installing an Amish cooling unit or a compressor conversion kit from JC Cooling in it eventually.
If your going to stay with an absorbtion type fridge, you'd be much better off getting a good cooling unit for your existing fridge rather than a whole new fridge.

I too have the new Amish Cooling unit in my Norcold. BUT GUESS WHAT? IT DOESN'T COOL REASONABLE EITHER! JC Refrigeration blames the installer, and the installer blames JC Refrigeration and you get no where with either. Right now my unit is ON with the new Amish cooling unit, and it is 10 degrees in the freezer and 42 in the refrigerator. Ice cream does NOT get frozen hard, and if you open the door twice, it's now 45 degrees in the refrigerator and takes many hours to get to 42. AND 42 IS NOT THAT SAFE!
My plan is to get a residential unit and spend the $ and call it DONE. I am tired of playing the Norcold Amish games while they take my money and make up reasons to blame each other.

Thanks for your post!!
That's it for me then. I'm not going to throw good money into this POS if even a co. like them can't make them work.

Scott

* This post was edited 07/30/19 08:00pm by ScottG *

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/19 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://maliasmiles.com/amish-cooling-units/
Norcold works with sealing the unit outside. I have the Norcold 2118 and the trick is to insure the center flap on the left door closes. I had to adjust the kinge and raise the door slightly, then silicone lube the contact points. Coldest spot is the left rear bottom shelf and yes it keeps ice cream on #5

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Duct tape and a prayer....lol

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

vegasfoodguy

Reno Nv

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/19 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kmb1966 wrote:

ScottG wrote:

My new Norcold is an absolute pile of junk and I'll probably be installing an Amish cooling unit or a compressor conversion kit from JC Cooling in it eventually.
If your going to stay with an absorbtion type fridge, you'd be much better off getting a good cooling unit for your existing fridge rather than a whole new fridge.

I too have the new Amish Cooling unit in my Norcold. BUT GUESS WHAT? IT DOESN'T COOL REASONABLE EITHER! JC Refrigeration blames the installer, and the installer blames JC Refrigeration and you get no where with either. Right now my unit is ON with the new Amish cooling unit, and it is 10 degrees in the freezer and 42 in the refrigerator. Ice cream does NOT get frozen hard, and if you open the door twice, it's now 45 degrees in the refrigerator and takes many hours to get to 42. AND 42 IS NOT THAT SAFE!
My plan is to get a residential unit and spend the $ and call it DONE. I am tired of playing the Norcold Amish games while they take my money and make up reasons to blame each other.

Try putting your ice cream in the icemaker side. I have the Amish
cooling unit, 2 weeks ago i was in vegas, 106 outside, 33 in the frig
0 in the freezer. With ice cream in ice maker side, was too hard to scoop. I like dry camping too much to give up propane. Also those of you complaining about not cold, are both fans working?

Terry.

Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

kmb1966

Lake Charles

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vegasfoodguy wrote:

kmb1966 wrote:

ScottG wrote:

Try putting your ice cream in the icemaker side. I have the Amish
cooling unit, 2 weeks ago i was in vegas, 106 outside, 33 in the frig
0 in the freezer. With ice cream in ice maker side, was too hard to scoop. I like dry camping too much to give up propane. Also those of you complaining about not cold, are both fans working?

Terry.

Yes, I am using the icemaker side for ice cream. that side is the coldest. Both fans are operating. unit is level. tried many types of thermometers to make sure I am getting accurate readings.
Takes 4 days to freeze ice cubes in an ice tray. It's ridiculous

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 10:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 1200 failed once. Had the Amish unit installed. It failed a year later. Removed the 1200 and it went to the dump. Installed the Samsung and couldn't be happier. Best mod done to the coach. Did it myself at a campground in Gulf Shores. Took me two days with the tools I had. Would have been shorter if I had the right tools. Below is a link with pictures and narrative.....Dennis

Samsung Fridge Install

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Ten Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Branson N Tucson

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/19 04:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sgt Joe. When they put it in they braced it from the back of Unit. If needed to be removed, just have to remove the out side vent cover to get to braces.

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We still have our NOrcold and it still is doing the job. About 4-5 years ago, we went to Leon Hershberger in Shipshewana. He owns National Refrigeration

He is a young Amish man and he has his own system which is different from the one known as the "Amish cooling unit." He will tell you how his is different and why it is better. We haven't had any problems since he put his cooling unit in our Norcold for $900. We had an extended warranty, so it cost us $500.

He is a very knowledgeable young man and has fixed our A/C's as well. Wouldn't go anywhere else for those two things.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What this thread tells me is if I install an Amish unit and it works poorly, they'll blame it on the install and leave me hanging.

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x2 on the RF18 from Lowes. Got ours (no scratch), on sale at $1000, including a military discount. Went through the door.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Replacement Fridge or New Cooling Unit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS