RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Replacement Fridge or New Cooling Unit

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Replacement Fridge or New Cooling Unit

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/19 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Open the windows. ACs just move air around. Mine dissipated in a few days.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

C20

Shawnee KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/19 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used these folks and are very happy with the product and service.

https://www.rvcool.com

08 Itasca 40 FD
02 Jeep Liberty
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2016 Ram Eco Diesel

SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/19 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After visiting all the RV shops in Saint George, UT I'm going out to one on Tuesday so they can look everything over and give me an accurate labor quote. So far they seem the best with the cooling unit at $910. +shipping and a 5 year warranty. Let you all know next week. Last cooling unit replacement was done inside my MH on the floor. No window removal.

Too bad there isn't a RV wrecking yard close by.

2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/19 10:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well it looks like I may be going to a residential fridge. The shop said they will not install a cooling unit since they recently did one and it actually caused some folks to lose their RV. The Cooling Unit supplier refuses to take any responsibility on their Unit which was installed a few months ago.

I'm going to have them pull my old Dometic fridge out and we will measure the height and see how tall a fridge can be installed with some modifications if needed. Fridges I've looked at that will meet the depth and width cost under $500.00, plus I can get an extended warranty for 5 years 95 bucks. Labor at the most will be 5 hours at 125 phr. Over all cheaper, safer and much colder then staying with a cooling unit again.

SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WELL I had the residential fridge installed today. Looks good. When I got home I removed all the clear wrap and tape off it and cleaned the inside. It was 59 1/2 tall, so they had to trim some wood at the top. Depth was just like the Dometic and the width was only 23" in my 33" wide opening. They did a great job on installation. I found the User's Manual inside the new fridge and was reading it when I found that it is not designed to be installed in an RV or used with an inverter.
When I was looking for one to fit in the space I had the salesman steer me to this nice looking Magic Chef 10.1 cf, I told him it was for my MH and I even asked if they would cover it under the extended Warranty, he said yes, so I bought it. I even had them deliver it to the RV Service Center so there was no doubt that it was a known FACT that it was going in my MH.
I wrote to the Company (tonight) that manufactured it telling them all of this. Tomorrow I go to the Dealer and see what they want to do.

So heads up to all of you who are looking to change over to a residential fridge--Read THE OWNER'S MANUAL FIRST BEFORE YOU BUY IT.

Total cost=$546.35 for fridge, extended warranty, and delivery charge. Removal of old Dometic and installation of new Magic Chef plus materials=$822.71

SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 10:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went to the place I bought it from and had a discussion with the assistant Manager. Said she would call me on Monday to see what the manufacturer has to say to me. Said if I don't hear from them her and her manager will get them on the phone. Suggested to her they might want to post a note on the fridge on display that it is not suitable for RV's.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Recently I was considering switching ours over to a residential fridge and found many with the same warning.

With that said, I need to check the one we put in deer camp last year. With camp being off the grid, that one runs 100% on an inverter type generator. So far so good.

Please let us know how you make out.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/19 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's an update== Home Depot took it back and refunded my money. Still out the $822 for the work at the RV shop to remove the Dometic and install the Magic Chef.
Found another fridge that would fit-Haier 9.8 cf. Wrote to the manufacturer asking if it would work in a MH and would it be covered under warranty. Got an answer back and they said yes to a MH and would be covered under warranty. Ordered one from Lowe's, they delivered to my home and the guys even fit it through my MH door. But couldn't put it in the cubby hole as the doors needed to be removed first. They left and I took the doors off and had neighbors help put it in place.
WELL it seems that I just can't get rid of that @$%^%$ rain cloud. Had it plugged in for two days to the MH and three days to the house plug. Never cooled down. SO, on this Monday Lowe's is delivering a new one and taking the old one back. This time I will plug it in before I put it up in the cubby hole. And yes my plug in the MH puts out 120v.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The NO RV or inverter use is mostly anatomy covering just so you know.

I'm replacing my cooling unit. I'll end up with the very same "Fridge" but with new stuff that wears out (Save for the icemaker I tossed it long time ago. Thankfully more on that in a paragraph or 2)

New Amish Built cooling unit from RVCOOLINGUNITS dot com has a 5 year warranty OEM was 3 as the sales person told me.

Why thankful for loss of ice maker. Well I have a friend. We swapped gifts. hers was a portable standalone ice maker While my Absorption "Fridge" is out of service I'm using the lower drawers inside a common coleman picnic ice chest and the ice maker is .. Making all the ice I need. I'm dumping between 3 and 5 loads o ice a day (Each load is about 3 quarts of water) to keep things chilled.

Works great.. A small Pieleter unit (No moving part electronic) is holding some stuff. and I have a 2nd Freezer.. Thankfully it was grocery shopping day when it failed so everything fit save for tonight's "Dish to pass" which is in the park's Fridge (Pumpkin cheesecake) .

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/19 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You know you can get a compressor based replacement unit now.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Replacement Fridge or New Cooling Unit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS