RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Replacement Fridge or New Cooling Unit

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Replacement Fridge or New Cooling Unit

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/19 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

You know you can get a compressor based replacement unit now.

If I have a problem on the Monday fridge I'll look into that. Do you have a website where I could check it out or is this the Amish Unit out of Indiana?

2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/19 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I finally have a fridge installed in my MH. It's a Haier 9.8cf.
Now I'm having my woodworking neighbor working on some trim on one side and a door on the other side, this will be my broom/vaccum closet. This fridge is only 23" wide where my old Dometic was just under 33". It's been a challenge finding a replacement since I was limited on height because of the drain pipe and the front furnace under the fridge area. Max height was 60".

Now I'm searching for tires since my 4 rear tires are 7 years old, not a crack on them anywhere, love these Michelins.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just had my cooling unit replaced. Brand New Amish BUilt from RVCOOLINGUINTS.com. 655 I think for the unit. plus S&H made it 750 and working with the tec she charged m 5 hours at 80/hr (400) for roughly what you paid for your first replacement.

Since it was her last job of the day and ran long We took each other to dinner
She drove. I paid (not that bad good restaurant cost me 20 bucks)

So far this year I've spent two full business days with my RV-GIRL
Thankfully the first one did not cost me anything (Not doing RV work but we share a sideline.. Public service, and were assigned to the same location)

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

RayChez

Barstow, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SGTJOE wrote:

Well I finally have a fridge installed in my MH. It's a Haier 9.8cf.
Now I'm having my woodworking neighbor working on some trim on one side and a door on the other side, this will be my broom/vaccum closet. This fridge is only 23" wide where my old Dometic was just under 33". It's been a challenge finding a replacement since I was limited on height because of the drain pipe and the front furnace under the fridge area. Max height was 60".

Now I'm searching for tires since my 4 rear tires are 7 years old, not a crack on them anywhere, love these Michelins.

I just had all my tires changed out also because they were around seven years old and on tire was starting to get side wall cracks. Anyways I stayed with the same brand I have used in the last two tire changes and they are Toyo tires from Les Schwab for around $400. per tire balanced with Equal bags. Mine are 22.5 265x75 they are the M-154 and I just love them tires, couldn't ask for a better tire. My originals were Michelins XRV and I was always worrying about blowouts. They had a bad reputation there for a while.

2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

RayChez

Barstow, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now as to refrigerators, I still have my original Norcold 1200 LRIM since new which was bought in April 2003. The only problem I have had with it is the filler water hose to the ice maker had to be replace which I got through Amazon. Other the that it has been working very good still. The ice cream which a lot of RVers always mention stays hard like a rock and the fridge stays at 38 degrees. What a lot of RVers do not understand is that you can get the refrigerator to cool much more by just sliding the thermister on the rear cooling fins up about half an inch and the temperature will drop to what ever you want, unless you have problems with the seals, then that is a different problem. But even if my Norcold ever goes bad, I can not complain with sixteen years of service and still going strong. I really like using the propane when dry camping and while driving down the road on my Norcold.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 11:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://jc-refrigeration.com/products/ and scroll down.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Ealdun

New York

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my opinion you must replace your Refrigerator and find the best Refrigerator that fulfill your requirement. Thanks
Refrigerators review

JCat

Big Apple, SoCal, Big D, everywhere USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/19 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went with JC refridge 120v model about 6 weeks ago and the freezer stays between 0 and 10 degrees in temps in the mid 80's, fridge stays around 35.
I have a Dometic fridge and I will say that the videos and documentation provided were no help for the install.
Luckily my installer had 20 years experience on RV's and was able to get it wired correctly the first time.
Also the piping in the freezer did not fit like the OEM and we had to do a workaround to get everything to line up.
In the end this option was much easier and cheaper for me than installing a residential fridge.
I would have had to pull windshield, use forklift, have multiple people move it, tear out current framing, move water pump, move propane heater, redo framing.
So for now I am happy we will see how well it works going forward.

JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

KMLsquared

Cotati CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 12:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just wrapped up the install of a reman cooling unit from rvcool.com tonight. On gas and propane it already got down to 33 degrees on the highest setting. The install was easy and they have a great install video that shows the whole process. Wick the owner was very helpful and willing to answer my questions. The unit was only $425 for my dometic with a lifetime warranty. Seeing other posts on this thread about installers I asked if the warranty was valid if installed by a do it yourself guy. Wick said he prefers it that way. We will see how long it lasts !

2002 HO 6spd LB QC 4x4. Edge Juice w/Att 4" str8 pipe AFE int Skyjacker D25 springs w/10" Fox Shox 2.0 Thuren track bar PSC Steering box w/DSS. Fox Steering Damper w/custom mount.

2003 Rampage 33TB
2002 Banshee
1969 Baja

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Replacement Fridge or New Cooling Unit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS