RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Weber Q - not your usual Regulator issue...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Weber Q - not your usual Regulator issue...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've owned our Weber Q1200 since 2014. It's been a great little grill. I used it twice yesterday. The first time all was well. The second time, I noticed oil dripping out of the Regulator. The regulator was also making a strange noise, almost like a spitting/hissing noise.

I couldn't find anything specific online about this particular issue. Everything I found was about low flow. The flame looked normal, but I didn't like the sound or the fact that it was leaking a decent amount of oil.

I got lazy and just did a propane tank swap a few weeks ago. The tank is pretty full still. I know there is some oil in propane, but this just seems like a lot of oil, so perhaps it is a bad tank of propane?

I am going to pull the regulator to see if anything is out of the ordinary. Anything I should look at? Should I just buy a new regulator or try a new tank of propane?

Thanks,

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have another propane tank handy I would try it before tearing into or replacing the regulator. Could be an overfilled cylinder.

rrupert

NW PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have heard that tanks that are filled from a nearly empty storage tank can have an excess amount of oil inside. I had that problem a number of years ago. It slowly cleared up but I can't help but think the oil has adverse effects on regulators.

Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/19 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First I must ask,are you using one of these? from Weber.

A few years back I had the same problem. After a lot of research and talking to Weber I found that the problem was not the tank but the hose.

It seems that the vendor that Weber used to make the hose did not use the proper hose and it broke down inside and started to leach out the rubber as a liquid.

I can't find the research now but as I remember the hose that was defective was made in Canada. They switched vendors and sent me a new one.Plus a new regulator.

I had no problem with the new one.

I have since removed the regulators on both of my Weber Qs and went with a mod to go from the tank to BBQ,this works out very well and if the regulator fails I can go to any Big Box store and replace it far cheaper and easier than buying a Weber regulator. I now have 3 Weber regulators on the shelf in the garage.

I followed This Video

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

mooky stinks

Cicero,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/19 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had this happen once and it was excess oil in the hose. I took it off and let it drain vertically and it never happened again.

2017 Silverado 1500 LT, Max Tow

2012 Outback 277RL

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mgirardo wrote:

Should I just buy a new regulator or try a new tank of propane?

Weber regulators are expensive and unreliable, I've replaced mine on each of 3 Weber Qs I've owned. The first replacement was covered by Weber but second time around it wasn't so I instead bought an inexpensive regulator at Lowes along with adapters to fit it all together, as illustrated in 2 pics starting here. Click on "i" at the top right of any pic for a text description.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/19 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

mgirardo wrote:

Should I just buy a new regulator or try a new tank of propane?

Weber regulators are expensive and unreliable, I've replaced mine on each of 3 Weber Qs I've owned. The first replacement was covered by Weber but second time around it wasn't so I instead bought an inexpensive regulator at Lowes along with adapters to fit it all together, as illustrated in 2 pics starting here. Click on "i" at the top right of any pic for a text description.

Same here. Last year I had to replace the regulator on my Weber Genesis II series grill (grill wouldn't light due to no propane flow) and just two weeks ago I replaced the regulator and also the burner on my five year old Weber Q2000 grill (Very little propane flow causing only a small flame). Parts aren't cheap but worth the money to me.

If God didn't want us to eat cows, he wouldn't have made them out of Steak and Cheese.

Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I did notice how expensive the regulator is. I decided to try the simplest option first. I turned the propane tank off, then fired up the grill to burn off the propane still in the line. By the time the propane finally burned off, there was a puddle of oil under the regulator about the size of a half-dollar, maybe a little larger. I took one of the tanks of the TT and hooked it up to the grill. Fired it up and let it run for a few minutes. No oil at all.

So I turned the tank off and let the propane burn off. I then hooked up the old tank and fired it up for about 10 minutes. No oil at all. Nothing. I'm thinking it just built up in the hose over time and finally started coming out. Hopefully it is gone.

Thanks again!

-Michael

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/19 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

A few years back I had the same problem. After a lot of research and talking to Weber I found that the problem was not the tank but the hose.

It seems that the vendor that Weber used to make the hose did not use the proper hose and it broke down inside and started to leach out the rubber as a liquid.

I can't find the research now but as I remember the hose that was defective was made in Canada. They switched vendors and sent me a new one.Plus a new regulator.

I had no problem with the new one.

I have since removed the regulators on both of my Weber Qs and went with a mod to go from the tank to BBQ,this works out very well and if the regulator fails I can go to any Big Box store and replace it far cheaper and easier than buying a Weber regulator. I now have 3 Weber regulators on the shelf in the garage.

I followed This Video

Thanks!

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/19 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

Sorry, I missed your post. No I am not using one of those from Weber. I have a similar hose from a different vendor. Mine however does not connect directly to the tank. I use a propane tree so I can hookup 2 propane devices and a lantern at the same time.

Come to think of it, the hose is new as of a few months ago. It is a different brand than I had been using.

Thanks for the suggestion.

-Michael

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Weber Q - not your usual Regulator issue...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS