RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Ford 7.3L gas power numbers

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Ford 7.3L gas power numbers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ShinerBock

SATX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 08/08/19 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spud1957 wrote:

Sooooo....great numbers for the 7.3 huh?

I think that's what this thread was about.



Yeah, and the Tesla semi thread was about a semi. This is probably not the best forum for people who don't like things going off topic because it happens in about 90% of the threads.

ExxWhy

Ohio

Senior Member

Joined: 11/24/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/08/19 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

90%? More like 99.9% when certain people get involved........

I guess we will know more about the 7.3/10 spd combo in December or so when they let the media types drive them around the block.





kw/00

Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 05/13/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/08/19 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it has great numbers to start with. Soon I’m sure some builders will get it programmed and put out more HP and TQ. Glad to see the big 3 invest in larger gas engines for the HD series trucks.


A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

Senior Member

Joined: 05/02/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/08/19 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Learjet wrote:

I'm use to 900 Tq....don't know if I can go back to almost half of that [emoticon]


Just drop down a gear or two...the rear axle will never know the difference.

Unless you are pushing the very upper limits of the tow ratings and doing lots of mountain driving...the modern gas engines are overkill (diesel is just more overkill).


I would say I disagree with most of this reply. The new engines aren't overkill IMHO. You used to have to get a run at most any hill and hope to crest it at 55mph. I've had big blocks, small blocks, old diesels, new diesels. Been pulling trailers since I was 16 and owned my own since 1982. What we have now is what we need. I mean unless what you call pulling a trailer is going from your house 5 miles to the beach. But for real towing..........we are finally there. And dropping a gear to make it over a hill and calling it the same......nope. If it's overkill, I'm happy to be in the "over the hill kill" group.


V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Denali. 2015 Creekside 20fq w/450 watts solar. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2004

View Profile






Posted: 08/08/19 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kw/00 wrote:

I think it has great numbers to start with. Soon I’m sure some builders will get it programmed and put out more HP and TQ. Glad to see the big 3 invest in larger gas engines for the HD series trucks.
I was thinking more in the lines of twin turbos.

ShinerBock

SATX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 08/08/19 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vintage465 wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Learjet wrote:

I'm use to 900 Tq....don't know if I can go back to almost half of that [emoticon]


Just drop down a gear or two...the rear axle will never know the difference.

Unless you are pushing the very upper limits of the tow ratings and doing lots of mountain driving...the modern gas engines are overkill (diesel is just more overkill).


I would say I disagree with most of this reply. The new engines aren't overkill IMHO. You used to have to get a run at most any hill and hope to crest it at 55mph. I've had big blocks, small blocks, old diesels, new diesels. Been pulling trailers since I was 16 and owned my own since 1982. What we have now is what we need. I mean unless what you call pulling a trailer is going from your house 5 miles to the beach. But for real towing..........we are finally there. And dropping a gear to make it over a hill and calling it the same......nope. If it's overkill, I'm happy to be in the "over the hill kill" group.


Great point. I will also add that what we tow has gotten much heavier and our speed limits have increased too. It wasn't that long ago that you needed a 1 ton drw diesel to tow a 10k trailer. Now, a half ton with a 6 cylinder EcoBoost can easily tow that and maintain the speed limit up most grades.

Copperhead

Central Iowa

Full Member

Joined: 12/15/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/17/19 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford needs to work on the 7.3 some more. The new GM L8T 6.6L gasser has 401 HP and 464 LB. Within kissing distance of the 7.3 numbers.

Either way, I also agree these engines are not overkill. There is a definite market for these. Many folks, especially commercial users which makes up the bulk of the 3/4 and 1 ton market, want a better performance gasser instead of going diesel. Even Fuso is now offering a gasser V8 in their medium duty box trucks to satisfy that desire by their customers.

Many of us who are involved in commercial use of trucks do not have all the wild eyed love affair with diesels that many in the personal user community seem to have. I go thru 21,000 gallons of diesel fuel a year simply because I have no other choice in what I am doing but to use diesels. For my personal stuff, I have a preference of a gasser in my 3/4 ton and welcome these new higher output gas engines as a viable alternative to having a diesel.

I just saw a video where someone was showing a new 2020 6.6L gasser Chevy 2500 yanking around 12K of trailer and track loader in the high country of Oregon. Was definitely a major improvement over the traditional 6.0L Vortec, and they got the ride for a ballpark $40K off the lot. Compare that to the sticker of a diesel 3/4 ton.

* This post was edited 08/17/19 07:31am by Copperhead *

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/17/19 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Copperhead wrote:

Ford needs to work on the 7.3 some more. The new GM L8T 6.6L gasser has 401 HP and 464 LB. Within kissing distance of the 7.3 numbers.

Either way, I also agree these engines are not overkill. There is a definite market for these. Many folks, especially commercial users which makes up the bulk of the 3/4 and 1 ton market, want a better performance gasser instead of going diesel. Even Fuso is now offering a gasser V8 in their medium duty box trucks to satisfy that desire by their customers.

Many of us who are involved in commercial use of trucks do not have all the wild eyed love affair with diesels that many in the personal user community seem to have. I go thru 21,000 gallons of diesel fuel a year simply because I have no other choice in what I am doing but to use diesels. For my personal stuff, I have a preference of a gasser in my 3/4 ton and welcome these new higher output gas engines as a viable alternative to having a diesel.

I just saw a video where someone was showing a new 2020 6.6L gasser Chevy 2500 yanking around 12K of trailer and track loader in the high country of Oregon. Was definitely a major improvement over the traditional 6.0L Vortec, and they got the ride for a ballpark $40K off the lot. Compare that to the sticker of a diesel 3/4 ton.


I disagree... I would be willing to bet the new Ford 7.3 will require less rpms to pull a given load compared to GM's new 6.6 engine. The 7.3 flat torque curve is pretty impressive and should make for a very enjoyable towing experience.

I do agree... that GM's new 6.6 is a big improvement over their 6.0 engine.


'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"


Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/17/19 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vintage465 has the right mindset. Valhalla360 is apparently pleased with the scorching performance of 80s models trucks.....


"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Copperhead

Central Iowa

Full Member

Joined: 12/15/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/17/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:



I disagree... I would be willing to bet the new Ford 7.3 will require less rpms to pull a given load compared to GM's new 6.6 engine. The 7.3 flat torque curve is pretty impressive and should make for a very enjoyable towing experience.

I do agree... that GM's new 6.6 is a big improvement over their 6.0 engine.


Disagree with what? I really didn't touch upon RPM's, as if that even makes a difference. The total output numbers of the new 6.6L L8T engine are 401 HP and 464 Lb. Bumping up close to what the 7.3 is putting out. Only a 11 lb difference in torque. That is not in dispute. That they may differ on the RPM's a little on how they get there is really a non issue. The L8T is intentionally designed to reach peak numbers at a conservative RPM range. It hits peak torque at 4000 RPM and from all indications, like its predecessor the L96 6.0L, it will hit 90% of available torque in the 2100-2500 RPM range. Max HP at 5200 RPM.

The 7.3 reaches max torque of 475 lb at the same 4000 RPM, and reaches peak 430 HP at 5500 RPM, 300 RPM higher than the 6.6L L8T. I think your assertion is flatlined.

* This post was edited 08/17/19 09:30am by Copperhead *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Ford 7.3L gas power numbers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.