|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trailer Feels Heavier After Hauling for Period of Time

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It may be helpful for you to go back and reread my entire post... It is not that long.... or complicated. And if the OP addresses what I state is a "for sure" problem.... He may very well be a happy camper.

BillyBob Jim wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

BillyBob Jim wrote:

What is laughable about his weight estimates? He knows what he loads in the trailer more than the weight police on this forum. He accounted for his water weight. 200 lbs additional can be realistic for everything else such as kitchen utensils, bedding, food, clothing, and misc gear, unless you have OCD or some other mental disorder, or are a hoarder.

Not everyone needs or hauls a ton and a half of additional stuff like some of you folks. Now if he's stacking cubes of brick or pallets of 8" block inside to build a pizza oven at the campground, then all bets are off.
What is laughable?
He hasn't weighed it.

Contrary to what one reads on these boards, the vast majority of owners of towable RV's have never weighed them or what goes in or on them either. Neither have owners of boxed cargo trailers, flat trailers, boat trailers, or any other trailer. I do not see the roads littered with wrecked rigs, broken axles, twisted frames, tow vehicles with blown engines and grenaded tranny's etc. due to overloading? Maybe you see that stuff in your neck of the woods?

Simple things can be as complicated as you want them to be, and on these boards taking something that is about as simple as it can get and complicating it to no end seems to be the norm for quite a few people.

That's what is laughable.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

marcsbigfoot20b27

Phx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/19 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Towing 6000 lbs realistic weight with an 02 chevy 5.3 and 4 speed transmission....hopefully with 3.73 gears, I cant imagine what the trans temps are getting up to, pretty hot for sure.

Brake light stuck on could keep the trailer brakes active and keep the torque converter from locking up, both = HEAT.
Any CEL or codes? Maybe it was in limp mode from high trans temps, I assume no trans temp gauge?

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

Towing 6000 lbs realistic weight with an 02 chevy 5.3 and 4 speed transmission....hopefully with 3.73 gears, I cant imagine what the trans temps are getting up to, pretty hot for sure.

You can imagine but I towed more than that (6K lbs) with a shortbed 00 Silverado reg cab, 5.3, 3:73, 4speed with over 200K miles for a few years, and the trans temps never went above 190 most of the time. I am pretty sure it did not even have anything called a tow package IIRC or an added trans cooler. If you pulled a 3 to 5 mile long grade @ or over 6% it might approach 230 at the top, but that's all within normal operating temps, and as soon as you hit the crest it would start dropping back down below 200.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I weighed my setup when I had it. I was 2200lbs over the dry weight with only 10 gallons of freshwater in the tank.
So the people that think they only put 200-300lbs in an RV are kidding themselves! 200-300 lbs is propane, battery and hitch alone!!!!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/19 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillyBob Jim wrote:

What is laughable about his weight estimates?
The part where he relies on the magical "dry weight"

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

gmckenzie

BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillyBob Jim wrote:

What is laughable about his weight estimates? He knows what he loads in the trailer more than the weight police on this forum. He accounted for his water weight. 200 lbs additional can be realistic for everything else such as kitchen utensils, bedding, food, clothing, and misc gear, unless you have OCD or some other mental disorder, or are a hoarder.

Not everyone needs or hauls a ton and a half of additional stuff like some of you folks. Now if he's stacking cubes of brick or pallets of 8" block inside to build a pizza oven at the campground, then all bets are off.

Problem is, the dry weight is a very meaninglessness number to start at. There is no standard as to what is included in the number. So you likely need to add the weight of the batteries, propane tanks and hitch before even worrying about clothes etc. That can be 2-300 lbs depending on your setup and most of that adds to the tongue weight just based on how far forward they are.

Better weight to base off of is the GVW, as you should be under that so you have room.

2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trailer Feels Heavier After Hauling for Period of Time
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS