RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: The "three"happiest days...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> The "three"happiest days...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/19 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Congratulations on the hard work and diligence!

Seems to be a big mystery how to pay a 15+ year loan off well before the due date.

The approach that I took for 6 years was that anytime I could set aside some extra money I would put it towards principle reduction. Making double payments cuts the term in half but anything you can throw at the principle is money back in your pocket.

Not many 4.99 percent CD's to found out there these days but every time I sent them an extra thousand or two that was what I was getting no fees, no fuss no muss... just a couple of grand that I would not be paying 4.99 on.

Recently paid $8,450 for a nice 2017 Polaris RZR and what a coincidence... pretty close to what I saved in interest on the coach. Yep, we always find a way to spend whatever we save but sure do have a lot of enjoyment out of my toys.

[emoticon]

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/19 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congratulations, I would suggest now that you save those payments so next time you can pay cash.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/19 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very unAmerican to not be in hock up to your eyeballs [emoticon]

Congrats!

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/19 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems to be a big mystery how to pay a 15+ year loan off well before the due date.

Not in the least. It actually takes very little. Adding even as little as $20/month extra towards principle will chip away at the overall length of time and interest paid. It's well worth it.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/19 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

For us, we paid off the TV first having applied the paid off car payment to it. Then we turned around and applied those payments to the FW. Now that TV and FW are paid off, those payments are being applied to the house. That will be paid in full next year, two years earlier than retirement. We will be debt free and I will be calling Dave Ramsey!

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 04:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

Congratulations, I would suggest now that you save those payments so next time you can pay cash.
Oh here we go...

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/19 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the nice things about being debt free is that if an emergency comes along and forces you to borrow some money unexpectedly, you can pay it off very fast and be debt free again quickly. We had to buy a new toad when the old one crapped out last year. Ford Focus owners will feel our pain. We had planned on keeping it forever. After trade we had a $24000 new car loan. We took the company financing and saved $500 and immediately refinanced with our credit union at a much lower rate. That was in Dec 2018. In Dec this year we will be debt free again because we have been paying an extra $1500 a month on the loan.

We did upset the dealer when we refinanced the car so fast because the $500 price discount we received by company financing went back to them to make good. At the time of purchase I asked what if we pay it off early? The finance person then hemmed and hawed and eventually told us that we needed to keep it for three months or we would lose the “insurance”. I do not like being lied to and upon further investigation found out that if we kept the loan three months the dealer would not be charged back the $500 discount. You guessed it, in three months you will have paid almost all of the $500 back in interest.

We never made a payment to them and saved several hundred $$ by doing that and have paid little interest this year by getting a much lower rate locally and accelerating the payments so fast which we could only do since we are otherwise debt free.

Another benefit of being able to save for routine expenses like insurance is now paying annually rather than by the month is about a 10% savings on the premium.

The peace of mind is priceless.

George & Lesley
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco/SMI towing system

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i never understood the "2 happiest days" comments.

Boating and RV'ing your doing it wrong! lol

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were able to retire early, at 53 & 55, because we figured out the key that every financial planner completely misses. Retiring comfortably is NOT about having "X" amount of money. You do not need a lot of income "IF" you have little or no "Outgo". Everything we own is paid for {completeing this equation with the last payment on the RV}.

As you approach retirement you should be in your prime earning years. Get aggressive about reducing your financial obligations. Put a 15 year loan on the house and accelerate the principle reduction with additional payments whenever possible. Pay off your cars, zero out those darned credit cards and learn to live within your means. If you enter retirement debt free whatever income you have will go so much further.

We don't make a lot of money between my wifes retirement and our SS but we live very well, travel extensively and enjoy life to the fullest everyday. Wherever possible we do pay cash for the major purchases and if not double up on the payments and retire the debt early. By doing so we have established near perfect credit {FICO of 840}.

As always... opinions and YMMV.

[emoticon]

Mmaxed

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We kinda had the opposite happen when we bought our Fuzion. We had saved enough to pay cash, but when trying to get the price we wanted were a couple thousand apart. I finally told the wife "let's go and think about it. That prompted the dealer to come back at our price if we would finance through them and not pay off the note for at least 6 months so that they could get the kick back. Worked for both of us.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> The "three"happiest days...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS