|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Hitch choice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dryfly

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/19 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let me re-phrase my question as I am not asking about the pros and cons of a pull test. I've heard the arguments for the proceedure, and they are all worthwhile.

I'm assuming one can see the jaws are wrapped around the pin correctly, the handle is closed correctly, and the locking pin is in the pull handle. Based on this, couldn't you "visually" tell if you are high hitched or not?

If NOT, is there any way you could drop the trailer on the bed, unless the hitch had a defect?

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/19 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dryfly wrote:

Let me re-phrase my question as I am not asking about the pros and cons of a pull test. I've heard the arguments for the proceedure, and they are all worthwhile.

I'm assuming one can see the jaws are wrapped around the pin correctly, the handle is closed correctly, and the locking pin is in the pull handle. Based on this, couldn't you "visually" tell if you are high hitched or not?

If NOT, is there any way you could drop the trailer on the bed, unless the hitch had a defect?

High hitching is very visible, there would be a gap between the top surface of the hitch ,and the bottom of the pin box, the two would not be mated.

I think yes, there is no way you could drop a fifth wheel the way you are asking, but thats a loaded question you asked. All those things have to be done EVERY time, if not then we get right back to IMO a pull test is FOOLPROOF.

Basically what some are saying is they never forget to do all those things, you know what they say about never .

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/19 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you keep the King Pin just a fraction below the hitch plate and let the King Pin ride up as you back into it, you'll never "High Hitch".

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/19 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"I justified the cost of my TS3 after just 30 minutes towing with a B&W Patriot which was a nightmare."

PLEASE tell what was creating a "nightmare" for you with the Patriot?

For various reasons, my trailer chucks severely. The Patriot very efficiently transferred all the chucking forces to our seat-backs. Wife told me to fix it or sell the trailer after our first 30 minutes. Did the Bilstiens and air bag thing - nothing. The TS3 fixed it, pure and simple. Not the Patriot's fault, It's just a solid piece of steel that is akin to bolting your pin box to the frame of your truck. I hope the OP's trailer is a smooth runner and he is happy with a solid hitch.

dryfly

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/19 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Basically what some are saying is they never forget to do all those things, you know what they say about never .

And, I'm sure there are those who "never" forget to do a pull test.

Everyone has to have the hookup routine that makes them feel the most confident that they have done everything possible to prevent failure. Also, they pay the consequences of their actions if they are wrong. Sounds like there are different opinions out there.

After reading lots of posts through the years I've found there are lots of good brands of hitches and everyone has their favorite, as well as their own hookup procedure. I still enjoy learning from everyone on this forum.

Big1

Westcoast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/19 01:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dryfly wrote:

I know that I have always lower the kingpin before I get all the way in lower than the hitch and as I'm backing in the kingpin ride up on the pad of the hitch and seat itself into the locking claw. I have never drop it in I don't know that way only what I have been told by the dealer. ( I know I'm in trouble now) listening to the dealer and we know where that will get you.

2018 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L CTD
2019 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/19 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dryfly wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

And, I'm sure there are those who "never" forget to do a pull test.

Everyone has to have the hookup routine that makes them feel the most confident that they have done everything possible to prevent failure. Also, they pay the consequences of their actions if they are wrong. Sounds like there are different opinions out there.

After reading lots of posts through the years I've found there are lots of good brands of hitches and everyone has their favorite, as well as their own hookup procedure. I still enjoy learning from everyone on this forum.

It is certainly a process that has to be followed regardless of how you do it. I do see where one has backed off a bit on the no need for a pull test with the B&W.

You can do whatever you want when you hookup, but to come on a forum and advise against the general wisdom of hooking up , that there is no need for a " PULL TEST " is bad advice. B&W or not .

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dryfly wrote:

SIMPLE answer is YES. That is "IF" you do a VISUAL test.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"I justified the cost of my TS3 after just 30 minutes towing with a B&W Patriot which was a nightmare."

PLEASE tell what was creating a "nightmare" for you with the Patriot?

For various reasons, my trailer chucks severely. The Patriot very efficiently transferred all the chucking forces to our seat-backs. Wife told me to fix it or sell the trailer after our first 30 minutes. Did the Bilstiens and air bag thing - nothing. The TS3 fixed it, pure and simple. Not the Patriot's fault, It's just a solid piece of steel that is akin to bolting your pin box to the frame of your truck. I hope the OP's trailer is a smooth runner and he is happy with a solid hitch.

Glad you fixed the issue. Your RAW, what tires you run with what amount of air and how much air in the air bags loaded will make or break how the RV pulls. Pin percentage of RV is another biggie. Your hitch is doing it's job but masking the real issue.

So bottom line " B&W Patriot which was a nightmare" really was not a fair statement without clarification.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love when people TWIST my words!!!

Visual test is simply a test, either you do one or the other or you don't.

This is a handle closed and locked VISUAL test below.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Hitch choice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS