|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Quality of Class C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
donnyB7

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking at two seemingly equivalent Class C motorhomes and would like to buy one. I want to know what quality level each is. I don't want to be comparing two different quality levels like comparing a Camry to a Corolla.
2014 Thor Chateau 31L
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
Thanks

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Donny,

This may be the best quality build:

http://www.lazydaze.com/

[image]

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thor vs winnie, no doubt winnie. but unlike the pictured one, prone to eventual leakage, etc.
bumpy

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/19 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Off the cuff, we always say choose the one with the floor plan you like best, and also choose the one you are sure has no roof leaks. If one has been under covered storage that would be a big plus. Itasca is made by Winnebago which is generally well respected. Oh, one other REAL important thing. If one has two AC units buy that one all things being equal. If both have only one AC don't buy either of them. It's really important in a 31 foot rig. Especially you living in Florida.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't say that only having one AC is a deal stopper IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO ADD A SECOND AC. my 32 ft bounder came with one AC. I added a second smaller one in the bed room vent, since it was cheaper and an expendable unit, I ran that if there was poor electrical service, etc. the main advantage (other than capacity) in having two units was being able to once cool, to alternate the one that was on based on where you were in the RV. just be sure to take the $$$ into account.
bumpy

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/19 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get the Winnebago.

Junatuna

New york

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/19 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Totally agree with Donnie,if your looking for a quality built motorhome get yourself a Laze Daze. Took one year to get but worth it,2 1/2 years and problem free. Great motorhome.

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/19 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

I wouldn't say that only having one AC is a deal stopper IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO ADD A SECOND AC. my 32 ft bounder came with one AC. I added a second smaller one in the bed room vent, since it was cheaper and an expendable unit, I ran that if there was poor electrical service, etc. the main advantage (other than capacity) in having two units was being able to once cool, to alternate the one that was on based on where you were in the RV. just be sure to take the $$$ into account.
bumpy

Bumpy, for it to be possible, I think it would need to be pre-wired. I would think that your Bounder was, but I doubt those two units are. Perhaps the Itasca, since it's a Winnie, but I would make them prove it. Is it even possible to do it right if it's not pre-wired for both power and thermostat? Has anyone ever done that? The salesman will probably say it is. The prospect of trying to do it is daunting. Don

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5 year old Class C, depending on how it was stored and maintained, expect to have to replace (NOT re-coat) the roof within a few years.

(Stored out of the sun and the roof washed and treated with UV protectant at least once a year, a "rubber roof" might last 10 years)

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

5 year old Class C, depending on how it was stored and maintained, expect to have to replace (NOT re-coat) the roof within a few years.

(Stored out of the sun and the roof washed and treated with UV protectant at least once a year, a "rubber roof" might last 10 years)

I'm assuming that the winnie has a fiberglass roof and the thor rubber/tpo
bumpy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Quality of Class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS