|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> New GPS needed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
harley-dave

ummm, where are we again..

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevemorris wrote:

if we used a dedicated tablet, would the gps function use gps data directly or cell phone signals?
We also use a dedicated tablet with Co-pilot RV. It has no cell capability so just uses gps only. We update it if needed when on Wifi. Co-pilot RV downloads the maps to the tablet so no data is required. It also allows you to add POI files. Seems to work pretty well for us and is easy to read. We use a USB charger plugged into the cig lighter port for full time power.

Dave

2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

stevemorris

ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/19 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lap527 wrote:

FYI...I never put in the whole route or trip. I put just towns that I want to go through on our destination, meaning the roads I want to travel on. As soon as I get close to that town I cancel that trip and put in new destination. Personally, for me it works out great but one time I did forget about canceling trip and we were going some crazy places. LOL! The life of the navigator..Ahh.

that's what we do as well, constantly changing the destination as we go
we travel long distances but primarily on secondary roads. gps nits of course always pick the fastest most direct route

2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lap527 wrote:

FYI...I never put in the whole route or trip. I put just towns that I want to go through on our destination,

In most GPS units, that is called "way points".....and most or all of them can be entered at the same time to make a complete trip. [emoticon]

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/19 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevemorris wrote:

if we used a dedicated tablet, would the gps function use gps data directly or cell phone signals?

It depends on the tablet & the app. Some tablets do not have a GPS receiver, so must use tower locations (not necessarily data) for location. Not as accurate, and, of course, useless outside the cell tower coverage area.

Most tablet or phone routing apps use data for the map, however CoPilot installs complete maps on your phone or tablet during installation & does not need any data connection when used.

As to stand alone GPS, I currently use a Garmin NUVI 3580. I tried one of their newer "Drive" models when I wanted a larger screen to go with a bigger tow vehicle, however I much preferred the interface of the older NUVI, so I'll keep it until it dies.

Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
My Photo & RV link blog

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/19 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I switched from TomTom to a Garmin Drive Smart. I like its 7-inch screen that allows a lot of information (street names, for example) that is easy to read. It gives an advance alert before a reduced speed limit or a school zone. It displays a "camera view" as you enter a freeway or interstate exit or onramp, showing which lane you should be in.

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevemorris wrote:

we need to replace our aging tomtom, its been great but the battery is done and its no longer supported by the manufacturer

Some thoughts on that:

Are map updates still supported for that model ?
If no, ignore the next two.

Doesn't the unit still work if plugged into 12 V power with an adapter ?

Given the model number or part number for the battery, you probably could get a new one from somewhere else.

I was an early GPS adopter, have used almost every brand out there and overall prefer Garmins.

Well that's not totally true. When the wife is with me, I prefer using her phone. The GPS function is just better.
When alone, I won't be using my phone as a GPS. Just to confusing for an old guy.

joebedford

Finally back home in the north

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used Garmin for many years and usually create my routes in Basecamp first. My Garmins can do on the fly changes as well. No 'smart'phone for me.

ncscz

South Slope Buzzard Roost Ridge

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/19 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevemorris wrote:

MAYBE -- it will depend on the tablet - not all tablet GPS capabilities are the same. Look very closely at the specs before you select a tablet.

I have successfully used a Asus and a Samsung tablet (both WiFi only) as gps. As long as I kept the maps updated, it worked very well.

CarriGo
Model 2320

belairbrian

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/19 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't really understand the animosity toward cell phone apps. We have Car Play compatible units in 5 vehicles. We can plan a route on the phone, plug it in and call it up on the 7 inch touch screen, full music library is available too.

With the smart phone you get constantly updated maps, real time traffic, lane direction, and voice commands. If I want to avoid highways I just throw that switch.

Oh, and it charges the phone and provides hands free calling.

For those who haven't seen a phone compatible head unit you might want to check them out. Considering they start a little over $300 they really aren't a bad choice.

TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison
2009 Chaparral 278DS
Reese 16K Slider Hitch, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/19 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't get a Rand MacNally GPS, they are junk.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> New GPS needed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS