|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Need help with a Exterior problem

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Mfan

Otsego,Mi

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Run away

rfporzio

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just move on!! Plenty of fish in the sea.

2012 Tacoma
2018 Prolite Plus S

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any competent fiberglass repair guy could fix the cracks. Paint would be the biggest factor and you seem to have that covered.
Can’t imagine it would cost over a grand, as long as there is no structural damage.
You will also have a salvage title which can affect resale, trade in, etc.
Only you can determine if it’s worth it. The price would have to be pretty phenomenal for me to take it.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

have you checked to make sure the slide go's in and out? can't really tell from the pictures but it looks like maybe something came down on top of it. looks like most of the damage is on the slide. do you possibly have more pictures? you can get the new siding material from most any major rv repair place, they will have it on a roll. if you can get it CHEEP it might be a good deal. I've bought a few totaled cars before, i'm in the autobody business. if you buying it for yourself good, if your trying to make money off of it good luck. that salvage title will kill you.it may be ok after you fix it but NO ONE will want to buy it.

Jay D.

Woodtroll

Appalachian Mtns, SW Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No matter how cheap, it's not worth it unless you have money and a lot of your own time to put into it. If you don't have time and knowledge to do it yourself, that means you will be paying a professional to do all the repair work, which means you could spend that money on a different trailer.

Short version, in most cases I would say PASS! Good luck with your decision.

2003 F250XL 4WD 7.3L Crewcab LB, 6 speed; Prodigy brake controller; Big Tex grille guard/ deer deflector. Canoe hauler and camping truck extraordinaire!
2003 Layton 242 Scout- Extra batteries, solar panels, LED lighting, and propane for boondocking.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That could be a steal for someone. And maybe totally serviceable as is depending how you use it.
The problem is, if you have to ask the internet, it means your not very well versed in the subject, so with that, be very cautious of what you’re getting.
Those cracks “seem” like maybe slide was out in extreme wind. And got racked?

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Adrian2Door wrote:

jfkmk wrote:

BarabooBob wrote:

That may be a "new' trailer but it is also a damaged trailer. I think that there is something wrong to have that many cracks in the sides. Maybe the frame is screwed up and putting tension on the side panels. I personally would not buy it.

I agree with this! This trailer is new??

The trailer is a 2018 but has a salvage title do to storm damage.

AND yet another person who will be whining about the title getting branded "salvage" down the road..

Honest to goodness, unless you are willing to do ALL as ENTIRE LABOR WORK you will never, ever be able to "recoop" the labor costs of this type of repair.

You have a compromised structural repair, most likely will need to remove the interior paneling and the exterior fiber glass in order to straighten out the racking which happened.

You most likely would be further ahead to build a completely new from scratch slide then remove the damaged slide and put your home built slid in place.

There is no telling just how bad the racking damage to the wall but it was plenty enough to rip the fiberglass AND the wood substrate under it.

RUN, do not just walk away from it.. There is way too many better used RVs out there and I doubt you are going to get a "deal" on a auction/salvage unit and it will have a salvage title to haunt you the rest of your life too boot.

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep in mind, the insurance company deemed it too expensive to repair properly and totaled it.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know of a trailer purchased recently that was totaled and it had very minimal damage. A dealer will do the assessment and determine that the cost of repair is too much giving him the opportunity to sell a new unit.

If the damage to the trailer in question is limited to the slide, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

most totals are because of the labor cost. if your skilled and have the tools to repair, yes it can be a good deal. but probably not for resale.
Jay D.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Need help with a Exterior problem
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS