|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Sprinter Carrying Capacity

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
nitecapt

Northport, ny

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are retired and we are looking at Sprinters in the 24' size range. Interestingly, it seems that many have a low carrying capacity. Some as low as 1000 labs. Put 4 adults and fill the tanks ands supplies and you may quickly exceed GVW which taxes the engine, braking and fuel. Is there a way to get listings on these based upon Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC)?
We REALLY like the layout of the 2018 Thor Motor Coach Citation Sprinter 24SS. Can anyone recommend a similar layout with a significant ant carry capacity or any brands that have more CCC? Also, we prefer a diesel generator which I know adds to weight.

Thanks
Ray

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/19 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nitecapt wrote:

My wife and I are retired and we are looking at Sprinters in the 24' size range. Interestingly, it seems that many have a low carrying capacity. Some as low as 1000 labs. Put 4 adults and fill the tanks ands supplies and you may quickly exceed GVW which taxes the engine, braking and fuel. Is there a way to get listings on these based upon Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC)?
We REALLY like the layout of the 2018 Thor Motor Coach Citation Sprinter 24SS. Can anyone recommend a similar layout with a significant ant carry capacity or any brands that have more CCC? Also, we prefer a diesel generator which I know adds to weight.

Thanks
Ray

This Winnebago is similar except for the dinette not being in a slideout - but it's front cabover bed is larger, it's tanks are larger, it's less expensive and more convenient to get serviced, and it easily eliminates your carrying capacity concern if you order it on the optional Ford E450 chassis:
https://winnebagoind.com/products/class-c/2020/minnie-winnie/floorplans

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OCCC varies by make/model/options - which is why there isn't much info on that out there. It's mostly trial and error.
Lichtsinn RV sometimes lists the approximate OCCC of some of their inventory units, but it depends on what's on it, and what's not.
The Onan QD3200 is only about 30 lbs heavier then the QG3600 model, iirc.
Winnebago seems to have (generally) decent OCCC numbers on their stuff, like the View/Navion, and/or Vita/Porto, but real OCCC has to be determined by actually weighing the finished unit, with the diesel/DEF/propane/fresh water tanks full, and the engine/rad and whatever else full and ready to travel. Then weigh it, and subtract that from 11,030 lbs GVWR, and whatever is left is your OCCC for that unit.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/19 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we were looking for a Sprinter based moho we encountered some units with extremely low carrying capacity. The Forest River products (the Isatas were the worst) had very low CCCs and the Thors were only marginally better. We ended up buying a 2019 Winnebago Navion 24V with 1,368 pounds of carrying capacity and 5,000 pound towing capacity.

nitecapt

Northport, ny

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

his is all good info......I think the Galleria Coachman has a large capacity but they are SOOO expensive

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

might look at these leisurevans.com we have the freedom serenity 11 has been great ,ours has the MB engine 5cyc and nobody beleaves we hit 20mpg now and then pulls my boat and gets 17teen. its now getting up in age a 2007 but we,ll keep it.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Best to look into warranty issues on bad fuel. The dealers enjoy opting out of the cost of repairs.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any Class C that does not have at least 1500# of payload {OCCC, CCC whatever} is the wrong coach. Assuming you will never tow anything just filling 2 of your 3 tanks will probably put you well over the GVWR.

Case in point: "I never drive with my tanks anything but empty." Oh really? So how do you flush the toilet, wash your hands or get a drink of water with an empty fresh tank? I keep a minimum of 10 gallons just for those tasks but there is another 84#.

After 3 or 4 days at a campground and your black and grey are tanks are full you go by the dumpstation and the line is and hour or more long... or the dumpstation is full, broken down or just closed. Now you get to drive home with 2 of your 3 tanks full and probably well over your GVWR. Folks, it happens.

Forget about tools, toys, firewood etc. as you willl simply not have the capacity. The larger the Class C generally the less you will have to start with. Lots of coaches brag that you can sleep 4, 6 or even more but they never address where do you put their stuff. I have seen $150,000+ 24' Class C's with less than 900# of payload, seriously. [emoticon]

Not trying to rain on the Sprinter parade here but if want to load or tow heavy get an E-450. even my E-350 has plenty of CCC compared to any Sprinter.

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

[emoticon]

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

might look at these leisurevans.com we have the freedom serenity 11 has been great ,ours has the MB engine 5cyc and nobody beleaves we hit 20mpg now and then pulls my boat and gets 17teen. its now getting up in age a 2007 but we,ll keep it.

It's hard to beat the old 5 cylinder T1N for fuel economy. After you get the turbo resonator fixed. [emoticon]
My NCV3 3.0L V6 gets 15mpg solo, and around 13mpg pulling 2+ tons of Wrangler. [emoticon]

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/19 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Traveling the West without adequate fresh water in the tank eliminates bunches of beautiful campsites but it’s kool to drive a Sprinter.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Sprinter Carrying Capacity
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS