|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Short Beds w/out Sliding Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generally turning while on flat ground isn't a problem, what creates the problem is when you're backing into a spot that isn't level with the road, so when the TV twist one way, while the RV twist the other is when you run the greatest risk of contact.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 10:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle.S wrote:

Generally turning while on flat ground isn't a problem, what creates the problem is when you're backing into a spot that isn't level with the road, so when the TV twist one way, while the RV twist the other is when you run the greatest risk of contact.

^^This

Many a truck owner with a busted window and dented cab did the safety check in the parking lot thing. What you cannot account for is one of the tires being lifted by uneven ground and the cap of the trailer tilting into the back of the truck. I'm not throwing shade at the whole idea of going without a slider... just pointing out the limitations of a test. Basically, even if you think you're in the clear you still must pay attention.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 10:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a long bed from '93 to 2005. Since '05 I have been using short bed trucks without sliding hitches and have no interest in ever going to a slider or a long bed. If I was going to put a sliding hitch in my truck it would be an automatic slider.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 11:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sayoung wrote:

A buddy has one of those pinboxes that privets back at the attach point , not at the kingpin/hitch. Works great on his short bed 1/2t ford

I think those pin boxes are a great idea but I believe it is a little more challenging to hook up.

Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/19 11:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mtofell1 wrote:

Michelle.S wrote:

^^This

Many a truck owner with a busted window and dented cab did the safety check in the parking lot thing. What you cannot account for is one of the tires being lifted by uneven ground and the cap of the trailer tilting into the back of the truck. I'm not throwing shade at the whole idea of going without a slider... just pointing out the limitations of a test. Basically, even if you think you're in the clear you still must pay attention.

Yep, what they said. This is exactly what happened to me.

BugsRLB

NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/19 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After towing many thousands of miles I hit the back window with the 5vr. That made me gun shy so I went with an auto-slider! Tomorrow will be the first test towing with the new hitch and hope it works well!

[image]

[image]

2018 Ford F350 SRW 6.7PowerStroke/6 Speed Auto
2017 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/19 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO the only thing thats going to help some is the automatic sliding hitch. I have watched enough towing, and backing into RV spots to know there are many that are not capable of paying attention. Manual sliding hitches to those folks are worthless !!

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what cummins said about paying attention. I have run short boxes for decades and without a slider. Used the hitch mountings from etraler. nary a problem. [emoticon] Iffin my day is coming it better hurry up cus i am older than dirt. [emoticon]

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a dent in the cab that is a constant reminder to be more careful. Fortunately the window is intact. I have a manual slider but can't reach the pins when hooked up, my older trailer doesn't have the cutaway corners.

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a B&W slider base for my Companion hitch after doing this to my old truck, and did not want to do the same to my new one.
The 5th wheel, long gone, was an older model Keystone Cougar with square front corners.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Short Beds w/out Sliding Hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS