|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Atwood Water Heater Tank Crack Repair ? UPDATE

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would get a new one. Good time to review the maintenance procedures for prevention.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I would get a new one. Good time to review the maintenance procedures for prevention.

Yes, but she is so busy, she has no time to look after her RV and not much money. I'll do what I can.

If the tank is not cracked, I suppose it is possible for the draining water from the drain plug to get back inside if the seal around the opening is not tight at the bottom. I noticed the drain plug wasn't in tight. We'll see once I can get at it.

Worst case is to by-pass the WH and do without. We don't use ours much. Heat water in a kettle or in a pot on the stove for small amounts. Showers in the winter are another matter.

Anyway, just have to wait and see what's what.

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think we always think the worst when something happens like that. After several cold nights in AZ one winter I thought my tank was leaking also. It is really hard to get inside to see where the leak was coming from but under the tank was soaking wet. After drying the area I put paper towels under the tank and under the fittings in the back of the tank. What I found was one of the plastic fittings on the back of the tank was leaking so I just tightened it and leak went away. Good Luck and hope it is an easy fix.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Yes, but she is so busy, she has no time to look after her RV and not much money. I'll do what I can.
I suggest selling it.

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 11:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just went thru a tank replacement. Two weeks ago, while getting ready to leave on a trip, I flipped the bypass valve and discovered the tank didn't survive the polar vortex (we hadn't used the water heater yet this year) when water pressure dropped to zero at the kitchen faucet, and the pump was running nonstop. After turning off the pump, we found water pouring out of the compartment on the outside, and water under the cabinets.

We were lucky the leak was caught immediately, and I was able to dry things out (multiple high-speed fans blowing into the water heater compartment) fairly quickly. Had it gone unnoticed for weeks or longer, I'm pretty sure the floor would have been destroyed.

New tank was $169 on Amazon, and I did all the work myself, which took a little over two hours to take out, swap tanks, and re-install. There's a really good 45 minute video that does the step by step on the Atwood.

I'm pretty comfortable with plumbing, which probably made the job easier, and I also took the opportunity to swap out some of the older PEX fittings. If you don't have the tools for PEX or feel comfortable with working with gas or water fittings, find someone else who is.

• 2005 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C (was a three-time Jayco owner)
  • 2012 MasterTow Dolly pulling a Honda Odyssey or Insight (had Ram 2500 CTD, Durango, Liberty...)
  • Onan Microquiet 4000, plus 130W solar and Honda EU2000i twins for backup

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That sure seems like what is going on. Of course prices for new tanks are way higher "up here" as usual [emoticon]

Good tip on videos-- this could be the one mentioned. (Haven't watched it yet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRfkuivFpVE

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the aluminum tank is cracked from being frozen, I wouldn't hesitate to have it welded. Cheap reliable fix that will last for years. Been there, done that.

Richard

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive,
they would eventually, find me attractive.

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will check out local shops for welding aluminum, thanks.

In the usual scenario, she would only be using the trailer with shore power, so if the Atwood tank or the whole thing needs replacement, that would cost approx. $300 Can tank only or $1,300 whole thing--

But I see they have these things for under $200 Can. Would one of these be enough for a hot shower and to do the dishes?

https://www.amazon.com/FVSTR-Wisee-2-5-G........-Electric-heater-Stainless/dp/B07GHGQYCQ

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/19 04:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That would work to do dishes while on electric, but I'd question the recharge rate for a shower. 2 gallons isn't a whole lot of water.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the outer drain plug in tight, and water pump on so there is cold water intake, outside there is water just pouring out of the big opening the burner fires into. Also lots still coming out from under the tank inside the TT.

The by-pass and hot and cold lines inside are ok thank goodness, so by-passed the WH. Then found two other leaks, one at a blue pex T and the other out of sight, but probably the water line for the toilet.

Sure makes you think it was not winterized when it should have been.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Atwood Water Heater Tank Crack Repair ? UPDATE
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS