|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Another Rear End Accident Story

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/19 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update

I contacted an attorney, regarding this situation. Though he could not advise on Indiana law, he did note that most attorneys will not get involved with any property damage only accidents. Basically, my insurance pays on the claim and then goes after the other driver's insurance to re-coup expenses.

The appraiser was out today, was surprised by the extent of the damage. He said there were some factors that were set, ie, as to hourly labour cost, they had to calculate a rate of $100/hour, even though local shops in this area are in the $150/hour range. He stated that he could note that I have a preferred repair facility that has a known rate of $149/hour, so the estimator could use that figure in assessing damage. The appraiser was very candid, he said that the repairs would easily be a 60 hour job, which at the low end would be $6000 for labour and and the higher end would be over $8900. Parts would be very expensive, as the entire rear end would need to be replaced, including the rear slide out, and some parts would be difficult to find. His opinion was that the trailer would be totaled out.

So now in the market for a replacement trailer. I actually found a similar trailer, but without the rear slide out, as I like the basic floor plan (Keystone Outback M28BHS) vs my current Outback 25RSS. Once everything is settled, I can get serious about an offer.

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hope everything works out to make you whole again.

Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/19 10:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I HATE to write this, but you probably could use an attorney. As long as you get what you receive funds to fix or purchase a replacement trailer, get reimbursed for expenses and have your truck fixed cool. However, insurance companies don't make their money giving money away.

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blazing Zippers wrote:

I HATE to write this, but you probably could use an attorney. As long as you get what you receive funds to fix or purchase a replacement trailer, get reimbursed for expenses and have your truck fixed cool. However, insurance companies don't make their money giving money away.

I did contact an attorney. Since it was property damage only, no injuries, he stated that few attorneys would get involved in such a case. I received notification that the accident investigation report is complete, so looking to get a copy of that, as leverage against the other insurance company, since the trooper advised me the Freightliner driver was completely at fault.

* This post was edited 08/12/19 05:44am by Thom02099 *

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thom02099 wrote:

Blazing Zippers wrote:

I did contact an attorney. Since it was property damage only, no injuries, he stated that few attorneys would not get involved in such a case. I received notification that the accident investigation report is complete, so looking to get a copy of that, as leverage against the other insurance company, since the trooper advised me the Freightliner driver was completely at fault.

I hope, that they offer you fair compensation. But from experience, companies that insure, commercial outfits. Like the freightliner, that hit you, tend to play hardball and sometimes can be difficult to deal with. Not always the case, but they are famous for lowball offers. ( although your ins co is in the lead here, and will collect from the at fault parties ins)

While an attorney, will not take the case on a contingent basis for property damage alone. What you might consider, if you are unhappy with the offer, hire an attorney on an hourly basis, to write a strongly worded letter. They tend to take attorneys much more seriously, than us regular Joes, and it may get their attention

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 10:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you should set down and call every attorney in the phone book until you find one that's hungry enough to help you. I was in the same situation you are with a motorcycle accident. it wasn't a hole lot of damage but the ins.co. was giving me a hard time. my lawyer got my money for me and his fee also. about 5 times more than if they would have been fair with me. you did NOTHING WRONG in this situation, you should not have to pay anything out of your pocket, nada, nothing, zilch. find an lawyer that wants to help you, most will do the first visit free.
Jay D.

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you added a rider covering "loss of use" I would be surprised if you had any coverage for this

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a rider has nothing to do with his predicament. he has lost his ability to use his camper and to go camping BECAUSE of the NEGLIGENT truck driver. truck drivers insurance should cover it, a good lawyer and a jury is all that's needed.
Jay D.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Another Rear End Accident Story
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS