RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: proper hook up procedure?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> proper hook up procedure?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
obie311

Aux Arcs

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/19 11:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK I've got it now. Rubber chocks from Horrible Freight OK?

I do the "bump" test now but the advice to only slightly raise the front legs makes a lot of common sense in case the hitch is not fully latched.

Thanks for the help.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 04:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mtofell1 wrote:

Definitely use wheel chocks. The trailer brakes are nowhere near adequate for hooking up. Also, best practice is to have the 5th king pin a bit lower and have the hitch "lift" the trailer as it latches. This takes weight off the legs and helps prevent what you are talking about. 5th hitches have a bit of a ramp, presumably for this exact reason.
X2

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

gkainz

Arvada, CO, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

obie311 wrote:

OK I've got it now. Rubber chocks from Horrible Freight OK?

I do the "bump" test now but the advice to only slightly raise the front legs makes a lot of common sense in case the hitch is not fully latched.

Thanks for the help.

Those are the ones I use. Cheap and effective.

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B.O. Plenty wrote:

I use chocks and raise the trailer until the hitch is about 1/2" above the fifth wheel plate. I then back into in at it latches. I leave the front jack legs down and never have had a problem. I don't slide the hitch up the plate as it will put a strain on the jacks.
B.O.

This is a recipe for disaster with many fifth wheel hitches. It may be what your manufacturer says to do and if it is, great.

OP your hitch manufacturer has instructions for your model hitch. Follow them and only them as to the height of your hitch when hooking up to the trailer.

Yes to the chocks. The cheap yellow ones from walmart work fine. Just make sure you look at them closely. Very few know that they have an expiration date on them.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always use wheel chocks! I've heard too many folks with veed truck beds say "but the ground looked level". The company I worked for, if you didn't chock, take the next day off in the street with no pay.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

FIRST thing ON.....WHEEL CHOCKS
LAST thing OFF.....WHEEL CHOCKS

Double ditto

Abot X15 by now I always chocks the wheels!!! ALWAYS!!!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B.O. Plenty wrote:

I use chocks and raise the trailer until the hitch is about 1/2" above the fifth wheel plate. I then back into in at it latches. I leave the front jack legs down and never have had a problem. I don't slide the hitch up the plate as it will put a strain on the jacks.
B.O.

This is a great way to HIGH HITCH!!
If you are worried about the hitch riding up the hitch due to stress, doing that is far less the running down the road!

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always hitch low and let it ride up the saddle. High hitch will jam up the Pullrite hitch and maybe others. 1/4" or 2" low works fine for me.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobsallyh wrote:

Always use wheel chocks! I've heard too many folks with veed truck beds say "but the ground looked level". The company I worked for, if you didn't chock, take the next day off in the street with no pay.

Years ago I remember walking by a loading bay behind a store and there were HUGE signs saying, "drivers responsible for chalking their own wheels," and it stuck with me. Basically, don't trust anyone else to do this absolutely critical step in hooking/unhooking.

Also, fwiw, those yellow plastic cheapies from Walmart work fine until you run over/crush them. Once the vertical supports have been crushed the whole thing will collapse easily. I have used those plastic ones but have also just used chunks of firewood a lot over the years. Replacements are cheap and easy to find [emoticon]

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn't it depend on the type of hitch you have as to whether or not you use chocks? I watched a video yesterday that Dutchmansport posted of the pros and cons of the various hitch arrangements. It looked like the truck with the Anderson hitch just backed up under the 5th wheel hitch then the 5th wheel was lowered onto the ball. Do you still need chocks for this type of hitch?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> proper hook up procedure?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS