RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: proper hook up procedure?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> proper hook up procedure?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon] I have had a fifth wheel parked in the pole barn for storage for over 18 years now on a level cement floor without chocks. Why would I be chocking that thing up?

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your the type as some must be that lifts the trailer off the jacks as they back under the pin then they would need the trailer wheels blocked. With 3 different 5th wheel rv trailers and 4 different 5th wheel flatdecks I've never lifted the trailer off the jacks while backing under the pin. My trailer sits in the trailer shed also with no chocks. I use them in the camp ground on a extended stay or storms in the area when over nighting.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

[emoticon] I have had a fifth wheel parked in the pole barn for storage for over 18 years now on a level cement floor without chocks. Why would I be chocking that thing up?

Will you ever use the trailer outside of the pole barn? If you are walking around inside the trailer, chocks will make your trailer more stable and minimize any rocking.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

Are you really scratching your head in wonderment? How many of us park on a level cement floor, in a pole barn, in our travels and outings?

This forum is for helpful ideas, solutions, and discussion. I don't see how that post helps anybody except to beg for an argument. We call that trolling.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mtofell1 wrote:

Gjac wrote:

Doesn't it depend on the type of hitch you have as to whether or not you use chocks? I watched a video yesterday that Dutchmansport posted of the pros and cons of the various hitch arrangements. It looked like the truck with the Anderson hitch just backed up under the 5th wheel hitch then the 5th wheel was lowered onto the ball. Do you still need chocks for this type of hitch?

The type of hitch is irrelevant prior to hooking up. A trailer not hooked to a vehicle should NEVER sit without chocks.

I agree, I tow with an Andersen, and there is no way I am not going to use chocks. Just a bad idea period to not chock any kind of trailer.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

austinjenna wrote:

Harbor Freight makes big rubber chocks that are the same as the more expensive ones.

I took a small level and glued it to a small magnet I had and keep that in the side compartment where the propane is and stuck to the frame. After I unhitch and pull the truck away I open the compartment and turn the whole magnet and level it until its level, or just about - thats where I know I need to be when raising the front legs to hook back up. Its cheap and simple and takes the guess work out of it.

Then I just go about and do my normal front to back routine etc... Also I use chocks as everyone else has mentioned.

Brilliant! I know what I'm getting at HF next! :-)

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

Just a good habit so you're hitching/unhitching with the same routine, no matter what.

Lyle

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since we're on the subject of wheel chocks (not chalks), One thing that I've had to be aware of with having an auto-level system, is that, on occasion, I've had the low-side wheels off the ground, so chocking is useless on that side. Another thing is that when you chock prior to unhitching, then leveling, if you do have tire contact but it's somewhat "unloaded" due to leveling and you kick the chocks tight, you need to remember to pull them back in slightly or you'll either crush them (not happened yet) or you'll not be able to get them out without re-raising the rig up. Yes, I =have= had to do that.

Lyle

obie311

Aux Arcs

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Allworth wrote:

Large, heavy, rubber chocks from Northern Tool, not Harbor Freight or Walmart cheapies.

ON EDIT: Camping World also has some useless ones.

Which model from Northern? I see they offer several.

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

So when you drive into the trailer with your tractor you only have to fix the RV, not the back wall of the barn that the RV rolls through. Also, a properly built slab to park vehicles on has a 1/4" per foot slope to drain water that falls off after driving in the rain so many slabs aren't totally flat.

Why do you wear a seatbelt? Why do you have smoke detectors? We do all kinds of things daily that turn out to be totally unnecessary.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> proper hook up procedure?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS