RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: proper hook up procedure?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> proper hook up procedure?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

Doesn't it depend on the type of hitch you have as to whether or not you use chocks? I watched a video yesterday that Dutchmansport posted of the pros and cons of the various hitch arrangements. It looked like the truck with the Anderson hitch just backed up under the 5th wheel hitch then the 5th wheel was lowered onto the ball. Do you still need chocks for this type of hitch?

Yes you still need chock blocks. As soon as you unhook, the trailer is no longer in your control.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
1992 S&S 11.5 TC

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Large, heavy, rubber chocks from Northern Tool, not Harbor Freight or Walmart cheapies.

ON EDIT: Camping World also has some useless ones.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harbor Freight makes big rubber chocks that are the same as the more expensive ones.

I took a small level and glued it to a small magnet I had and keep that in the side compartment where the propane is and stuck to the frame. After I unhitch and pull the truck away I open the compartment and turn the whole magnet and level it until its level, or just about - thats where I know I need to be when raising the front legs to hook back up. Its cheap and simple and takes the guess work out of it.

Then I just go about and do my normal front to back routine etc... Also I use chocks as everyone else has mentioned.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Baremat

NT

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Allworth wrote:

Large, heavy, rubber chocks from Northern Tool, not Harbor Freight or Walmart cheapies.

ON EDIT: Camping World also has some useless ones.

Northern Tool chock is really most reliable than other choices.

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem I have with a lot of chocks from HF and the like, is that they are sized for big trucks and are too steep to work properly with typical RV trailer sized tire. The typical truck tire will be over 40" diameter, and the typical RV trailer tire will be closer to 30". It makes the angle all wrong for effectively wedging our smaller tires.

It would behoove some of you to actually test pulling against your chocks and see how they work. A good chock should work on loose dirt.

Personally, I make my own out of scrap lumber and have tested them to be sure they work.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

obie311 wrote:

OK I've got it now. Rubber chocks from Horrible Freight OK?

I do the "bump" test now but the advice to only slightly raise the front legs makes a lot of common sense in case the hitch is not fully latched.

Thanks for the help.

When you see a pick up with bed rails bent , you just found some one who did not do a BUMP TEST[emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]

spud1957

NB

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

B.O. Plenty wrote:

I use chocks and raise the trailer until the hitch is about 1/2" above the fifth wheel plate. I then back into in at it latches. I leave the front jack legs down and never have had a problem. I don't slide the hitch up the plate as it will put a strain on the jacks.
B.O.

This is a great way to HIGH HITCH!!
If you are worried about the hitch riding up the hitch due to stress, doing that is far less the running down the road!

Both Reese and Pullrite have instructions in their user guide to ride the pin up the hitch. In should be about an inch above the low end of the hitch plate.

I have no concern about undue stress on my front jacks. Properly chocked wheels pretty well eliminates that.

prstlk

Post Falls ID

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 11:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most important is to have a sequence of hooking and unhooking for both tasks, the the same way every time without deviation. Sorry folks be with you in few have to hook up, sorry folks just setting up be with you in few. Follow the same route every time and trailers don't get drooped, power cables not pulled off of posts, and water lines are not pulled off. Same goes for atenas stairs wives husbands and pets,

2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 11:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

Doesn't it depend on the type of hitch you have as to whether or not you use chocks? I watched a video yesterday that Dutchmansport posted of the pros and cons of the various hitch arrangements. It looked like the truck with the Anderson hitch just backed up under the 5th wheel hitch then the 5th wheel was lowered onto the ball. Do you still need chocks for this type of hitch?

The type of hitch is irrelevant prior to hooking up. A trailer not hooked to a vehicle should NEVER sit without chocks.

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will add, don't be afraid to dolly up or down to adjust your pin height. AND that the bump, or pull test is not enough. Get out of the truck and LOOK (flashlight if needed) to see that the jaws or bar have captured the pin. I once spent half a day jacking up a loaded tanker that some fool of a driver high hitched (submarined the pin). He made half a mile before it fell off the tractor!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> proper hook up procedure?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS