RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: proper hook up procedure?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> proper hook up procedure?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

[emoticon] I have had a fifth wheel parked in the pole barn for storage for over 18 years now on a level cement floor without chocks. Why would I be chocking that thing up?

I don't chock here at home on my driveway storage spot. Never had any issue with it moving when I hitch up. I guess you took "always chock" a little too literally.

For the last couple of years that hasn't been exactly true. I have a 3 x 4 block of wood that I leave sitting on my driveway. It serves as my target when I come back home and park the trailer. I back up until I hit that block and I know I've got the thing sitting exactly where I want it. I guess that acts as half a chock, but it isn't there for that purpose.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few years back we were camping at the shore when neighbors showed up after dark. We were sitting around the camp fire and I was trying hard not to be that guy that just has to help. They got their 5th wheel backed in just fine. But watching these two ladies make multiple attempts to unhook and having nothing but problems, I finally gave in and asked if I could help. They were glad to accept my assistance as they thought they just were not strong enough to pull the pin.

So I proceeded to give them a lesson. I said, first thing you need to do is put chocks under the wheels. They looked at me funny. I pointed to my trailer wheels. Apparently Canadians call them "stoppers". They put their stoppers in place. I then had the driver get in and back the truck up against the pin. And to make sure they knew they could do it, I had the other one very easily pull the pin. Yes, they already had the legs down. They were very grateful as the back of the site sloped right into the lake. And the way they were going, that was where their camper was going to end up.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

spud1957

NB

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

A few years back we were camping at the shore when neighbors showed up after dark. We were sitting around the camp fire and I was trying hard not to be that guy that just has to help. They got their 5th wheel backed in just fine. But watching these two ladies make multiple attempts to unhook and having nothing but problems, I finally gave in and asked if I could help. They were glad to accept my assistance as they thought they just were not strong enough to pull the pin.

So I proceeded to give them a lesson. I said, first thing you need to do is put chocks under the wheels. They looked at me funny. I pointed to my trailer wheels. Apparently Canadians call them "stoppers". They put their stoppers in place. I then had the driver get in and back the truck up against the pin. And to make sure they knew they could do it, I had the other one very easily pull the pin. Yes, they already had the legs down. They were very grateful as the back of the site sloped right into the lake. And the way they were going, that was where their camper was going to end up.

No!!! Canadians do not call them stoppers!!! 40+ years Rving and I have NEVER heard that term.

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

...had the driver get in and back the truck up against the pin...

You touched on another reason to chock. I also have one of those hitches with the Chinese finger design, and if you aren't pushing rearward on the pin it will fight you when releasing. Actually took me a few trips to figure that out on my own. Now I often travel alone, so I've learned to chock, put the truck in reverse, and get out and release the jaws, then jump back in the cab. Not something you would want to do without chocks in place.

I've witnessed people hammering on their release lever, apparently not having learned that lesson.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harbor Freight Wheel Chocks

$7.99
[image]

$14.99
[image]

Barney [emoticon]

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ummmm, Barney I messed up with the post and did not paste this first.

Abot X15 by now I always chocks the wheels!!! ALWAYS!!!

No argument, I just do not chock up when it serves no purpose to me. The other side of the coin.

* This post was edited 08/08/19 07:17am by Dave H M *

klr650goldwing

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just use light weight plastic chocks on the 5er. We chock the tires every time.

2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2004 F350, V10, CC, LB, 4X4, 456
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

sunbug

usa

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CHOCKS! Front of wheels and back of wheels.

cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always chock the wheels. I know there's time when I could get by without but by doing it all the time it's becomes a routine and I don't forget when they are needed.

2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> proper hook up procedure?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS