RV.Net Open Roads Forum: ? "Easy" Way to Clean Patio Mat?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> ? "Easy" Way to Clean Patio Mat?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
dcmac214

SW OKLA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How does one clean - at minimum hose off - a large patio mat?

Don't have it yet, so can't describe what it's made of. DW wants to get something big enough to set out the plastic chairs and table.

Can't lay it down on a driveway that's flat and 50-50 gravel-dirt. Don't have anything large & high enough to hang it on (aside from nailing it to the side of the house).

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have 2 of the standard 9x12 RV Patio Mats. When camping, I have found it easiest to clean them off by simply dragging them from one corner through the wet grass, especially if there is heavy dew on the grass. Walk it over the grass about 20 feet, then flip it back over and walk back another 20 feet. They come out very nice and clean.

Fortunate, I have an asphalt driveway at home, and only once (just about 3 weeks ago), I spread them out over the asphalt and actually used soap water and a brush and cleaned them off. Actually, this is the first time I've ever actually "washed" them as they had stained mud spots. And yes, they came out nice and clean. Sun dried them off.

When camping, I'll roll them up and stow them away, but get them back out of the cubby hole once home and just let them air dry rolled up. Of course those RV mats are very breathable. And if raining, I can just set them inside the garage for a day or so to finish drying out the water from the dew.

By the way, we've had the one mat for about 10 years now, and this is the first time it was actually "washed". The wet grass method works very well.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The mat we use the most is made from woven poly cordage, and usually only needs a shake to clean dirt and leaves off of it. Occasionally we've had to clean it after food spills, and we just stretched it out on the grass and gave it a scrub with a car wash brush and some Dawn dish washing detergent followed by a rinse.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have washed mine on the concrete driveway and while laying on my lawn also. Either works well, using a bucket of water/car wash soap, and car wash brush with 5' handle. Hose off both sides, let dry, fold up, put back in FW basement.

Jerry

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wash mine after just about every trip where the site is dirt. just scrub it in the driveway with car soap. some times i have to flip it and hose it off a couple times to get all of the soap out. its held up well and looks brand new after 2 years.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/19 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dcmac214 wrote:

How does one clean - at minimum hose off - a large patio mat?

I've always just laid the mat out on the lawn and sprayed it with a garden hose. Let it air dry then fold it up, ready for the next trip. [emoticon]

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just take it to a self serve Carwash [emoticon]
[image]

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

mosseater

Dillsburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drape ours over the clothes line and hose it off on both sides. It doesn't really hold much dirt. Mostly mud and leaf litter, pine needles, etc. Comes out pretty clean. Had it 11 years.

"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 04:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mosseater wrote:

I drape ours over the clothes line and hose it off on both sides. It doesn't really hold much dirt. Mostly mud and leaf litter, pine needles, etc. Comes out pretty clean. Had it 11 years.
This is what I would suggest - string a line and drape it over. Often, you don't even need to wash them - just let the dirt dry out and hit it with a leaf blower.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

3boxerss

Northwest Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is the 4th year with ours got it from Walmart. Too big to hang at home. When wet we roll/fold it up and put in a large garbage bag, put in back of the truck and when home set it sitting upright in the garage with the bag open. Drys and ready for next camp. We do that all the time an have had no problem with mold or mildew on it.. Memorial Day weekend this year our site was a muddy. gooey ,swampy mess.. We ended updragging the big muddy mess of a matt over to the bathroom and hooked our small hose up to the outside spikot and rinsed all that off and put in in the trash bag. It dried like usual in the open trash bag in the garage..

2017 Wildwood XLite 201BHXL
2016 Ford F250
Previous Camper 2001 Bantam B19 by Trail Lite

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> ? "Easy" Way to Clean Patio Mat?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.