RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: November Honeymoon trip suggestions

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> November Honeymoon trip suggestions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
tracyb-oh

Cincinnati,Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Head south to Gatlinburg, Tennessee. It will be beautiful ready for the holidays, the mountains are majestic. Lots of things to do and see in the area. Could also visit places in Kentucky on the way south. The crowds should be a little less as you are behind the leaf peepers but before the Thanksgiving bunch. Weather should be crisp. Plus a pretty easy drive from Chicago. You won’t be spending all your time driving.

Tracy and T
2017 Sanibel 5th wheel
2015 Dodge Ram crew cab long bed Cummins diesel

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going west that time of year is risky and will be COLD in Utah and Colorado. The Grand Canyon Plateau is 6800 ft. elevation. Veil Colorado is at 10,000 ft. elevation. South is where you want to go to be comfortable and not go through 20 tanks of propane. Anything like Savannah, Charleston, the Georgia coast or the Gulf coast and yes even the Smoky Mountains and Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/ Sevierville are decent weather in November. The mountains are beautiful in their fall glory.

I know you really don't want to just drive all the time so research the south and don't try to be so ambitious. It's your honey moon remember. Stop and enjoy an area for more than 2-3 days. Do the Kentucky Bourbon Trail on the way down. Stop in Lynchburg TN to see the Jack Daniels Distillery, a fantastic tour. Nashville is a great place for the honky tonks and live music and good food. I love going out west myself too but it's a warm weather trip really. Think things over aas to what you want to put up with. Cold weather is a challenge to camp in.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/19 11:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in early November, 2006 from the SF Bay Area to Chicago and back, to pick up our brand new HTT.
Let's just say that weather turned on us, during the return leg and we almost crashed.
No way would I be heading to Utah, during that time of the year.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 12:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Figure out the farthest place south west you want to go and then drive as many hours as you can to get there. Then take your time working your way back. You will have the most driving energy the first day or two. Don`t waste your time stopping to see things close enough that you can do in short trips another time. Just wondering if you live in Chicago where do you plan on storing the trailer?

RoyBell

Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dang, you all have me worried about heading west now. Is the weather more temperate in KY, TN, Carolinas instead that time of the year? Bourbon trail sounds appealing to me [emoticon]

Zcookie- I will be storing it at my office/warehouse. No more having to be in storage by november 1st and out by April!

RoyBell

Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK so if we head EAST instead, I am thinking the following.

Option 1:
Chicago IL
Kentucky Bourbon areas KY
Nashville TN
Charleston SC
Jacksonville FL
Tallahassee FL
New Orleans LA
Memphis TN
St Louis MO
Chicago IL

That is 7 stops @ 2800 miles. Average 300 miles a day traveling. Not sure if NO is our thing when camping? I imagine this is the warmest route.

Option 2:
Chicago IL
West Virginia
Cherokee National Forest TN
Charleston SC
Jacksonville FL
Nashville TN (long haul)
St Louis MO
Chicago IL

Same thing, 7 stops @ 2800 miles. Staying a little further north/east

Option 3:
Chicago IL
West Virginia
Jacksonville NC
Charleston SC
Cherokee National Forest TN
Nashville TN
St Louis MO
Chicago IL

7 Stops 2600 miles so the trips are a little shorter. No southern states and going to east coast.

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyBell wrote:

OK so if we head EAST instead, I am thinking the following.

Option 1:
Chicago IL
Nashville TN
Charleston SC
Jacksonville FL
Tallahassee FL
New Orleans LA
Memphis TN
St Louis MO
Chicago IL

That is 7 stops @ 2800 miles. Average 300 miles a day traveling. Not sure if NO is our thing when camping? I imagine this is the warmest route.

This sounds like a good option, except I'd hit Jekyll Island, GA instead of Jacksonville, FL. It will only add about 75 miles to your Tallahassee leg. There's a lot more nature and history on Jekyll Island than there is in Jacksonville. Jacksonville is a nice city and there are some nice campgrounds nearby, but scenery wise, Jekyll Island wins hands down. That time of year it will be pretty quiet.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

djsamuel

Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tracyb-oh wrote:

Head south to Gatlinburg, Tennessee. It will be beautiful ready for the holidays, the mountains are majestic. Lots of things to do and see in the area. Could also visit places in Kentucky on the way south. The crowds should be a little less as you are behind the leaf peepers but before the Thanksgiving bunch. Weather should be crisp. Plus a pretty easy drive from Chicago. You won’t be spending all your time driving.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

If you want a peaceful stay, consider Townsend, just south of Pigeon forge and Gatlinburg, although any of those locations would be great. You could spend a ton of time enjoying the Smoky Mountains National park.

Picture of Our Trailer

Camplite 21BHS

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure why your worried about going south west early November. I always wanted to check out Palo Duro canyon in Texas.

Crodad

Lafayette, LA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/19 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would head to Gatlinburg and spend as much time there as you can. You can stay busy for days there. Many hikes in the park, Shopping and Dinner Shows in Pigeon Forge. Dolly World. Rafting(though maybe not in November).

2008 F-250 PSD 4x2 Lariat
2016 Silverback 31RK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> November Honeymoon trip suggestions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS