RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: November Honeymoon trip suggestions

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> November Honeymoon trip suggestions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our retirement trip, we headed south from New England on Nov 1st. We did Myrtle Beach then Hilton Head Island in the first 2 weeks. Shorts and flip-flop weather.

A friend who travels extensively throughout the US and Canada recommended being out of the Rockies after Labor Day. Considering that you'd have to push it hard to get to Utah and back in 2 weeks, I'd suggest not doing that. Don't want to start off a marriage with a lot of stress.

We planned a leisurely intercoastal waterway in Pine Island Sound in Florida on a rented house boat for our twentieth. Boat broke down on the second day out, ended up getting Sea-Towed in and got off the boat. Couldn't get home (Hurricane Sandy). I had been planning the trip for 6 months. DW was very disappointed. I was crushed. Not the best memory.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

padredw

East Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/19 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

We tend a lil bit different than your choices. About 300 maybe 350 miles and stop for at least 2 nites before moving again.
From Chicago, maybe to the Ozarks, down into hot springs Arkansas and further south if you wish.

November would be an ideal time to travel south. Here is one possibility:

Chicago to Land Between the Lakes (Kentucky/Tennessee)
We have stayed at several campgrounds here, most recently Canal COE. But also at Hurricane Creek COE. about 365 miles. At least 2 or 3 days here.

Land B. the Lakes to Petit Jean State Park in Arkansas.
About 360 miles. Arkansas has some great state parks, this is one of them.

You could also move on down to Hot Springs/Little Rock. Maumelle COE near Little Rock or Lake Catherine State Park near Hot Springs are good choices. About 60 miles from Petit Jean.

In November the leaves will start turning color (depending on the year the quality of the color will vary.)

You could even come on down into East Texas. Such as Tyler State Park or Caddo Lake State Park. ~ 170 to 225 miles.

These are just to get you thinking. The weather can turn quite cold even in November, but most years there are many day of pleasant temperatures in Arkansas and East Texas.

padredw

East Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/19 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a possible return trip (assuming Tyler State Park your farthest south)

Mountain View Arkansas 350 miles. Mountain View is down home Ozark country music. The Folk Folklife State Park is there with theatre performances and there is "pickin and singing" down around the courthouse.

Folk Life Center

An alternative to Mountain View is Branson, highly commercialized but if you haven't been there worth a trip--about 400 miles from Tyler.

By now your two weeks is just about up. An overnight in the vicinity of Springfield, IL (about 350 miles from Mountain View) would leave you only a bit over 200 miles back to Chicago.

This allows 2 nights at 3 of the stops and 3 nights at 2 of the stops with the one night in the Springfield, IL area. This time of the year you might "play by ear" and see how to allot those nights. I've just tried to plan an atual 2 week trip through the Arkansas mountains to beautiful East Texas. I can answer questions about every campground I've mentioned--we've been there.

donkeydew

OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/19 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drive to ohara fly to destination of her choice.
a honeymoon should be relaxed and enjoyed,not what you are purposing

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyBell wrote:

We always go to FL over the holidays to visit my parents. We always stop in TN and GA, so not looking forward to going east in November, just to go that way again in Dec.
How about heading south and west?

Springfield IL the first night. (200 miles, 4 hours) See the Lincoln Museum, etc. if you haven't already.

Eureka Springs, AR. (400 miles, <7 hours). A very romantic little town with lots to see and do. Great restaurants, too. Did I mention that it is romantic?

On to Hot Springs AR or somewhere around Lake Ouachita (200 miles, 4 hours). If history is an indication, the leaves in northern Arkansas should be near their peak in early November.

Austin and/or San Antonio, TX (500-600 miles, 8-10 hours) Austin is the hip, younger city with lots of nightlife, music, etc. San Antonio is more historic. There are several other missions besides the Alamo and all are worth spending time at. The River Walk is quite romantic also.

Big Bend NP (450-500 miles, 7-8 hours). November is an ideal time to visit Big Bend. While we go to Utah quite frequently, Big Bend really surprised DW with its beauty.

Leaving Big Bend, head north to Carlsbad Caverns (240 miles, 4 hours). Been in lots of caves, and as they say, there's only one Carlsbad Caverns.

Then off to Palo Duro Canyon out of Amarillo (300 miles, 5 hours).

At that point, you're around 1000 miles from home. Pick the fastest route, drive it in two days and parks your rig.

If that seems like too much driving, cut the trip off at San Antonio and head east toward New Orleans. Maybe stop and see NASA Space Center near Houston. From NO, head north on the River Road through Vicksburg, Memphis, etc.

I've listed lots of ideas here so pick and choose which appeal to you most. For me, Eureka Springs and San Antonio would be highest on my list for romance. Big Bend and Carlsbad for wonderful outdoor experiences unlike anything around Chicago.

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

RoyBell

Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So with the help of everyone here, we have planned our trip...for the most part. 1 day everywhere, minus traveling time and 2 days in Gatlinburg.

Mon-Weds Louisville, Kentucky
Weds-Fri Monongahela National Forest, West Virginia
Fri-Sun Roanoake, Virginia
Sun-Weds Gatlinburg, Tennessee
Weds-Fri Nashville, Tennessee
Fri-Sun Mark Twain National Forest, St. Louis

Next step is to pick the campsites!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> November Honeymoon trip suggestions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS