|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Financing question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nickthehunter wrote:

Go online and find the best rate you can, someone mentioned light stream - a good choice, there are others. Chances are, the dealer can still beat it, but you got to have a good number then let them shoot it down. They have very good resources to beat just about anything you can get on your own.
As for the upsells, just say no, it's that easy.

Both interest rates I got that I stated in the above post, was the car dealer. Didn't bother to even check further.

The upsells are easy as you say, just say no. I have no problem .

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had the cash, used the dealer to set up the loan... Their bank was a royal PITA to deal with. Finally got tired of their inability to properly record our payments and just paid it off.

lcseds

Chapel Hill, NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alway best to have the cash to buy. But then don't. As long as you have the liquid assets to cover the note, you're safe. Invest it and see a 8% average return (mine is about 10% over the last 10 years) and not only have your returns cover the RV interest, but also some of the principle. Others peoples money for big ticket items is always the best choice.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/19 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another tip that a lot of people overlook, is to split your payment and make 2 payments per month. Better yet, take your total payment, round it up some to pay extra to principal =and= make 2 payments/month. Just make sure there are no pre-payment penalties!

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/19 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have made exactly 0% on investments over the last two years, so I don’t finance anything. To expect near double digit returns might cause disappointment.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/19 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

I have made exactly 0% on investments over the last two years, so I don’t finance anything. To expect near double digit returns might cause disappointment.
S&P 500 index fund should be up 20% over the past 24 months.

For those paying cash I recommend using a maximum of half your savings and finance the rest. Plan to pay the loan and pay back your savings.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/19 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Yes, "YOU" really shouldn't invest money; if you couldn't make a profit over the last 2 years you must really be bad at it. Best bet for "YOU" is to put it in your mattress.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/19 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

Yes, "YOU" really shouldn't invest money; if you couldn't make a profit over the last 2 years you must really be bad at it. Best bet for "YOU" is to put it in your mattress.

Thank you for that, I am rather stupid for letting Morgan Stanley manage my investments for the past six years. They did well the first half of that time but have repeatedly made poor choices recently. I simply recognized that age may catch up with me and I wanted to put things on cruise control to make it a bit easier for the survivors. Yes, I am close to firing them, but I also know that there is no perfect answer except to allow some genius on here manage it for me.

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/19 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out Dave Ramsey’s website and checkout some of his advice and perhaps consider one of his approved advisors.

You should be able to meet or beat the S&P average.

Morgan Stanley is selling you their junk.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/19 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Thank you for that, I am rather unfortunate for letting Morgan Stanley manage my investments for the past six years. They did well the first half of that time but have repeatedly made poor choices recently. I simply recognized that age may catch up with me and I wanted to put things on cruise control to make it a bit easier for the survivors. Yes, I am close to firing them, but I also know that there is no perfect answer except to allow some genius on here manage it for me.

Go with the advice of John Bogle and Warren Buffett and open an account at Vanguard.
Invest in the basic SP 500 index. VFINX or VFIAX

Very few beat the market so just be happy to have the wind at your back investing with the 500 largest companies in the US.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Financing question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.