|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> RV Ovens

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, all, need some cooking advice. My old Komfort did not have an oven, so I've never played with one before, let alone =any= gas oven. Biggest issue is how in hell do you get stuff to brown ON TOP?! Bottoms can get nice and brown (or black) but the tops don't even looked cooked. Baked some biscuits and the bottoms were perfect and the only way we could get the tops brown was to put them on a camp toaster! Had the rack in the highest position. Anyone? TIA...

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use our oven for storage and our toaster oven for cooking.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

lynndiwagon

Yukon, Oklahoma, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't use ours much, but it's there for storage or when we don't have electricity. I would highly recommend the Breville countertop toaster/oven. We also have one in the house and for the two of us it serves almost all of our oven needs.

Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The height of our oven is so narrow we can't hardly fit anything in there. Browning bread in such a narrow space is completely uneven.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

DutchmenSport

On the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, you need to some how celebrate the actual temperature inside the oven with what the dial is actually pointed on. Dial may say 350 degrees, but the true inside temperature may be 400. So.

Step 1: Do not depend on the dial numbers as being accurate. Use an oven thermometer and set the oven on different temperatures and mark or remember where on the dial those temperatures are.

Step 2: Use a lower temperature than what the "package" calls for. We bake about 25 degrees lower than the listed recommended temperature on the package. It bakes slower, but it doesn't burn the bottom.

Step 3: RV ovens are notorious for uneven heat. But my wife has 100% mastered ours and has baked some marvelous things... including cinnamon rolls and breakfast biscuits. The secret is to rotate the item inside the oven. If the biscuits call for 350 for 12 minutes, then at 6 minutes, turn the item 180 degrees and things will come out great.

Step 4: (which we do not do)... get a Pizza Stone and lay it on the bottom shelf. This distributes the heat more uniformly inside the oven. Or skip the stone and just do step 1, 2, 3 above.

We had Cinnamon Rolls just last Sunday ... UMMMM perfectly fixed! It can be done.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

First, you need to some how celebrate the actual temperature inside the oven with what the dial is actually pointed on. Dial may say 350 degrees, but the true inside temperature may be 400. So.

Step 1: Do not depend on the dial numbers as being accurate. Use an oven thermometer and set the oven on different temperatures and mark or remember where on the dial those temperatures are.

Step 2: Use a lower temperature than what the "package" calls for. We bake about 25 degrees lower than the listed recommended temperature on the package. It bakes slower, but it doesn't burn the bottom.

Step 3: RV ovens are notorious for uneven heat. But my wife has 100% mastered ours and has baked some marvelous things... including cinnamon rolls and breakfast biscuits. The secret is to rotate the item inside the oven. If the biscuits call for 350 for 12 minutes, then at 6 minutes, turn the item 180 degrees and things will come out great.

Step 4: (which we do not do)... get a Pizza Stone and lay it on the bottom shelf. This distributes the heat more uniformly inside the oven. Or skip the stone and just do step 1, 2, 3 above.

We had Cinnamon Rolls just last Sunday ... UMMMM perfectly fixed! It can be done.

We were dry camping and I hadn't yet calibrated the oven. I know it's something I need to do. I'll remember to bake at a lower temp, too. Heat seemed to be fairly even across the bottom, as all were equally browned (or blackened), so turning really wouldn't have helped. With biscuits, at least you can =flip= them; not so easy with crescent rolls. [emoticon]

Lyle

md_procouple

Parkville, Md.

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like most of the campers so far, my wife uses it for storage, and bakes anything in her toaster oven... besides it saves propane. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!

Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
">

HuckleberryHunter

Issaquah, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need something to help hold the heat and distribute it evenly. Place a cast Iron griddle, a baking stone, or something similar on the rack or on the shelf above the burner to help keep from scorching the food on the bottom and maintaining and even heat distribution. I've had success in a pinch by placing a 10' cast iron skillet on the shelf above the burner and then using a thicker cookie sheet to bake on. It is a challenge though.

2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use ours a lot, it runs hot so we set it ~25 degrees lower than home.

Having a pizza stone on the bottom helps distribute the heat, definitely needed in a small RV oven. Ours stays in there all the time when travelling, no issues.

For pastry type stuff, using an 'air bake' dual walled aluminum cookie sheet helps keep the bottoms from burning before the tops cook.

These are the things that work for me anyway...

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use ours almost every day, same as at home. We have no pizza stone in the bottom just turn the heat down a little.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> RV Ovens
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS