RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Please help me identify 5th wheel towing issue.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Please help me identify 5th wheel towing issue.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I have my 800 lb motorcycle on the back of my 5ver I put 400 lbs of gravel in the front closet to gain a little pin weight. It helps immensely.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if you are travelling your water tank either needs to be completely empty or completely full. A partially full water tank could cause your chucking issue?

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Classic signs of 2 potential issues.
1. trailer/hitch/truck set up has trailer nose high. Trailer frame should be parallel with ground (level ground for checking). Having the trailer nose high reduces rear axle travel. Nose doesn't have to be very high to affect suspension travel negatively on a leaf spring suspension.

2. Pin weight - typically good ride has pin weight at or above 20% of actual trailer weight. Mine rides best with ~23% pin.

you don't need helper springs or such if the truck does not sag at the proper pin weight.

Edit: Are your factory overload springs staying fully engaged while towing? if not the symptoms you describe will be present.

ZeeLet50

Alden, New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smarty, we usually travel with about 10 gallons of water to flush toilet when traveling and other emergencies. mapguy, it appears level but will recheck. I had to raise ball on hitch one hole to deter damage to my toneau cover rails. I can raise the pin box up one hole if needed. No helper springs on truck yet but it does sag at least 2" to level
as GM's sit ass high to start with. Have not checked weight yet to verify pin weight. Maybe this weekend i can find a place.

2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To check if trailer frame is parallel to ground. Find a flat level spot for truck/trailer. Measure main rails (not fifth wheel platform portion of frame) of frame aa far forward as possible to ground . Then measure main frame rails to ground, as far back as possible. If frame is in the proper position -both front and rear measurements will be nearly the same. Much more than an 1" higher front measurement compromises suspension travel of rear axle. Lack of suspension travel amplifies the normal push-pull of a fifth wheel hitch system.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/19 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ZeeLet50 wrote:

I have a 2016 3/4 ton GMC gasser with Anderson hitch connected to a 32' trailer that weighs 12.5k with about 2100lbs pin weight. When traveling I get a jerking in TV when there is a load. Happens going up a hill or slight elevation in road. Usually felt more above 30mph. I have a cushioned pin box and Morryde Cre3000 added to suspension. Is this "chunking" or do I have an issue with slipping tranny or chugging motor. Can't see tach moving. Never happens on down hills or full throttle pulls up hills. No issues noted when not towing. It can even happen on smooth roads. Its not constant but happens enough to be annoying.

I have a similar truck and trailer setup - 2015 Chev with Duramax. I assume you have a standard (short) not regular (long) bed. I have the short bed. I also have the B&W Companion and have looked at the Anderson. The reason I haven't switched is because when I first got the 5th wheel the chucking was awful. The B&W has a lot of adjustments and I experienced with a lot of them until I found a comfortable position for the hitch. I believe this was the majority of my problem. I still get some chucking but having a full tank of fresh water helps it to pull smoother. It seems that my rig might be nose heavy as the fresh water is in the back so it would lighten up the hitch. I think the chucking comes from the short wheelbase.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Please help me identify 5th wheel towing issue.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS