|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Extended warranty

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Npdchief07

Hamilton, Oh

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am purchasing a new 2020 Transcend tomorrow. I am sure I will be offered an extended warranty. Any suggestions on if they are worth it or not?

Iraqvet05

Greenwood, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generally, an extended warranty on a travel trailer is not worth it. There are some horror stories here and there about failures after the warranty expire but the decisions is yours. Why dealers offer an extended warranty the day you take delivery of a trailer already under factory warranty is beyond me. Why finance more up front for something you will probably never use. I guess I got luck with my old 26BH...5.5 years and I never had an issue with it that I couldn't resolve on my own.

2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

no there not worth it, if your handy at all your better off fixing it yourself. just think this threw your your frig door gasket is torn , take to dealer for inspection,yep its torn took three weeks to get the inspection done,, dealer talks to factory two more weeks pass factory approves gasket three weeks later gasket arrives at dealer, two weeks pass dealer calls you set,s up an appointment for four weeks away . take to dealer sits on the lot for a month waiting for gasket to be installed ,job gets done ,they call you for pickup, you get home and find the mechanic ripped the new gasket on the install job. and you start all over. #1 you could do it yourself about 30min job,#2 hire a mobil rv tech who does rv warrenty work. and comes to you. 99% of this is fact not a story. put the cash in a piggy bank add a few bucks and you,ll have the best warrenty out there.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't purchase extended warranties to me it's not worth the hassle for something I can repair, usually better then the dealer. Other people that have zero mechanical ability extended warranty might be a good deal for them. I plan on things being wrong with a new RV. I just go through a new unit and fix everything wrong.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Extened warranties are extremely profitable for the dealer and salesperson, so expect a lot of pressure to buy. In fact, they probably would make more commissions on the sale of that "warranty" than the sale of the RV. Those "warranties" usually have lots of hoops to jump through to get a claim paid, and are carefully written to avoid payment. If you finance the "arranty" with you purchase, you are paying even more than the stated amount. They mostly are not worth the money. Think about it, the "warranty" company has to make a profit, as well as pay massive commissions. So their plan is to collect more money than they pay out. From you!

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

or do like I did, they pressured me and I got up and headed for the door. Amazing how attitudes change when the exit door is involved.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

fdwt994

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The house almost always wins. Odds are, you will not recoup the entire purchase price of the warranty, especially if you roll it into your financing. Make sure you know what it will really cost you when you do the math. They may tell you "It's only $20 a month"- sure; over the course of the 10 or 12 years that you finance, and the warranty is usually only valid for four or five years after the manufacturer's one year. Also remember that many components such as the A/C, furnace, etc have two year warranties.

2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

Mich upnorth

Niles, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My answer to the dealer asking about an extended warranty is “if you thing I need one then I don’t want your product if it won’t last very long.

Bob & Barb
2016 F-150 Ecoboost Lariat Crewcab
2014 Coachman Catalina 30RLS

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have money to burn and don't know one end of a screwdriver from the other, spend the $$.

Otherwise read the fine print in close detail. Typically things that don't break are covered and things that do, aren't. Best thing is to stock up on some basic tools and some spare supplies (plumbing fittings, electrical connectors, screws, tape, etc., etc.) and fix things yourself.

Even if something is covered, your TT could sit on the dealers lot for many weeks while they fix it to suit their schedule, not yours. Not good in the height of the camping season. And too many dealers are inept and can't fix things properly it at all, even if you tell them what is wrong. (BTDT too many times.) Doesn't matter if it's the factory warranty or extended warranty. If you happen to be far away from home in the middle of nowhere, you're going to have trouble getting to a dealer that will work on it - another reason to have some tools with you. You just never know what will go wrong while you're away on a trip, and it does.

I'd keep your $$ and buy some nice RV accessories instead. [emoticon] Or put it towards a good roadside policy. What would happen if your TV broke down far away from home? Would towing be covered for the TT and/or TV? Not something we thought about much until recently when the engine in our truck blew up 5 hours from home.

The insurance policy we had at first was a premium one with some nice extras. If any appliance needed repairs, the TT manufacturer's warranty (2 year) was doubled, so we got 4 year's worth of warranty on appliances. Never once had a single issue with them and never needed the extended period. No wonder they can do that. Appliances aren't something that routinely break.

Gil, Deb & Dougal a 15 year old Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH, shocks and Endurance LRE tires
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty trailering option

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just bought a new 2019 TT after 16 years of owning my first brand new one.. Was offered the 7 yr extended warranty for $1500 on both units.. I declined at the time of signing the paperwork both times, but asked if I could buy later on and they said yes for up to 10 months after..

Figure I'll see what the first 6 or so months shows and go from there. (never would have used it on the old 2003 Prowler, as it's been a great rig.. Jury is still out on the 2019 Rockwood!)

But, in the end, it's up to you to determine what works best for YOU..

In the end, I'd rather have zero issues with any product I buy and if I did buy the extended warranty, and I had no issues, then at least I didn't have to deal with all the hassles of dealing with warranty issues!

The pay off is whatever you feel was worth the cost.. If you have a TON of issues and have to take the rig in every other day for warranty work, sure.. You got your monies worth on the warranty... But, in the end, you have a POS rig that you have to deal with all that warranty work with..

Or, you pay for the X warranty.. You never have to make a claim... Humm... Peace of mind over having to deal with a POS rig???

Your choice...

Good luck!

Mitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Extended warranty
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS