RV.Net Open Roads Forum: I need a large 5th wheel but am I looking too large?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> I need a large 5th wheel but am I looking too large?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
khtims75

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello, I am new to this community so first I want to thank you guys for using the years of experience you have to help newbies like me out.

Anyway, I am planning to go full time RV with my family. That includes my wife and two kids (10 and 16 years old both boys). We know we need to go much smaller to fit into any RV but we've found some very large 5th wheels that range from 44' to 50'. I've been assured by the salesman that there are no legal issues driving down the road with a 50' 5th wheel. Is that true? But I realize there must be some logistical concerns over going that large. Since I'm new to this community I don't know what the downfalls might be so I'd like to lean on some expertise to educate me on my decision.

The need for the extra room is to accommodate 3 bedrooms (2 are pretty small still) and two bathrooms. We simply don't want to share if we don't have to if we are going to be doing this full time.

So, with that said, what are the major implications I might not be considering when going as large as 50' on the 5th wheel?

Thanks again for any help or insight you can offer me.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

50' is huge, where do you plan to "camp" with it?
Many parks are limited to campers as small as 30', most get snug by 40'.
Do the boys really need separate rooms, or just sleeping areas?
There are some with a center room, with a separate sleeping loft above such as
Montana 3855
or
Solitude
But they dont have a second bath.
With one already being 16, having an additional room may not be needed long enough to really make it a requirement.
Otherwise the closest I have seen would be a toyhauler such as the
Momentum
And it does have the second bath.
Hope this is helpful.

* This post was edited 08/06/19 04:51pm by wanderingaimlessly *

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First where do you plan on camping?

reluyog

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have seen several 48 foot 5th wheel campers, and other than fewer available camping sites due to length, they look fine. All the ones we've seen were pulled by highway road tractors, and all were over length for many states. Overall I don't see any issues as long as you have a good tow vehicle and willing to risk the length. Round numbers we are 63 feet, and 83 feet in Wyoming double towing with our tractor with a 36 foot 5th wheel, and sometimes a 16 foot flat or enclosed 2nd trailer (+4 for the tongue) . I prefer to be able to get to a legal length if required. For some reference, we're about 44000 lbs with two pieces, and with an almost antique 3406b Caterpillar engine set at a measly (by today's standards) 400 hp, 15spd trans, we can pull the I70 Eisenhower tunnel grades at 50 mph. I say get what you want.

Damian
1983 KW W900, 3406B Cat, RTO15, 355's
1995 Carriage by Carriage triple axle 22K

khtims75

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

50' is really huge! I'm certainly looking for better options but am having problems finding a quality manufacturer that has what we need. A room and a large loft like you suggested would probably work but we can't find that with 2 baths (again like you mentioned) or we need to give up some quality.

We do like this one from Grand Design, https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2020/fifth-wheel/solitude/floorplans/3740bh-3740bh-r but we are giving a large sacrifice to the boys not having their own spaces. I would prefer a room and loft situation similar to the Solitude you posted but it must have 2 baths (minimum bath and a half).

Others we have considered are:
Highland Ridge Open Range OF427BHS
Choachmen Chaparral 373MBRB

or even a toy hauler and use the garage for a room like this one:
Dutchmen Voltage 4205

So I am also looking at resell value. If this isn't made well then full time use will tear it up! I want something that will be more likely to be worth more later if that's possible.

Again, I realize this is the RV world and not living in houses. But I appreciate the conversation to help me out.

khtims75

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

First where do you plan on camping?

We are looking at different memberships available like Thousand Trails... But fear that they might not accommodate us... We certainly understand the restrictions in state and national parks and such. We haven't chosen any specific places to be quite yet. Still figuring out how practical this is.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I couldn't find anything from ODOT, but I did find something on AAA under passenger car trailer lengths. Link

Total length: 65 feet; trailer length: 40 feet; motor home length: 45 feet; width: 8 feet 6 inches (for motor homes, excluding appurtenances up to 4 inches); height: 14 feet.

So it looks like your entire combination (truck and trailer) is limited to 65ft. Trailer has a maximum length of 40ft, and motorhome has a maximum length of 45ft.

Whether anybody would ever stop you for pulling longer is up to anybody's guess.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never owned a 5th wheel so I can't help with your questions.
I am curious, what will you use to tow the large 5th wheel you are considering?

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I gassed up next to a triple axle 5th wheel that I'd guess was 45 feet long. I told the owner that my trailer wanted to be his trailer someday when it grew up. He took that as an invitation to tell me that he regrets such a large rig, mostly when choosing the wrong street or pulling into a gas station that isn't really right for him.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

khtims75

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

I couldn't find anything from ODOT, but I did find something on AAA under passenger car trailer lengths. ***Link Removed***

Total length: 65 feet; trailer length: 40 feet; motor home length: 45 feet; width: 8 feet 6 inches (for motor homes, excluding appurtenances up to 4 inches); height: 14 feet.

So it looks like your entire combination (truck and trailer) is limited to 65ft. Trailer has a maximum length of 40ft, and motorhome has a maximum length of 45ft.

Whether anybody would ever stop you for pulling longer is up to anybody's guess.

Thank you. That is interesting.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> I need a large 5th wheel but am I looking too large?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS