RV.Net Open Roads Forum: I need a large 5th wheel but am I looking too large?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> I need a large 5th wheel but am I looking too large?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are no light models in these beasts. You’ll be north of 5000lb pin weight with an empty trailer and probably up around 7000lbs loaded if you go with a 50 footer. When you figure in 4 people and a hitch in the truck, that’s out of pickup territory, so you’ll be driving what is basically a small semi tractor.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

khtims75

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

I've never owned a 5th wheel so I can't help with your questions.
I am curious, what will you use to tow the large 5th wheel you are considering?

The truck we are planning on buying is a 2017 or newer Ford F350 Diesel Dually. The 50' has a 21,000 lb capacity so it should work out great.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

States can have a vehicle length law on the books and same for a combination max length. My state is 42' for a RV and 68' for a combination.
I've yet to hear of anyone (rv folks) being pulled over for being over either max lengths.

A '17 F350 DRW has a 9900 rawr that will carry all the hitch load and other gear in the bed. Many owners report around 3500 lb unladin rear axle weight (actaul weight depends on scaled axle weights). This leaves approx 6k-6.5k lbs for a in the bed payload. Your gonna' have close to a max loaded truck.

Just for fodder.....Next truck up is the F450 cab/chassis with those big 11.5k-12k rawr numbers which will give you plenty of reserve load carrying capacity.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

khtims75 wrote:

gbopp wrote:

I've never owned a 5th wheel so I can't help with your questions.
I am curious, what will you use to tow the large 5th wheel you are considering?

The truck we are planning on buying is a 2017 or newer Ford F350 Diesel Dually. The 50' has a 21,000 lb capacity so it should work out great.

Right size truck but choose a Dodge diesel truck with an exhaust brake. I would then add a Transfer Flow auxiliary fuel tank 60 to 80 gallon tank??????.

khtims75

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

States can have a vehicle length law on the books and same for a combination max length. My state is 42' for a RV and 68' for a combination.
I've yet to hear of anyone (rv folks) being pulled over for being over either max lengths.

A '17 F350 DRW has a 9900 rawr that will carry all the hitch load and other gear in the bed. Many owners report around 3500 lb unladin rear axle weight (actaul weight depends on scaled axle weights). This leaves approx 6k-6.5k lbs for a in the bed payload. Your gonna' have close to a max loaded truck.

Just for fodder.....Next truck up is the F450 cab/chassis with those big 11.5k-12k rawr numbers which will give you plenty of reserve load carrying capacity.

Thank you! And thank you to the others offering great opinions. I guess I will be topping out the F350. I will consider the Dodge... OR F450.. Ugh. Maybe going smaller is really the solution here and give up some comforts. This was a really good discussion so far.

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An F-350/3500 will not legally or safely do what you want, you are in medium duty territory. Getting into some campgrounds and gas stations will be a challenge. You may also have to upgrade your driver's licence, check with your dmv. Maybe a class A would work better for you.

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have the cash check out New Horizons they build custom 5th wheels. If you go over 44ft you will limit your access to most public camp grounds.
You should Google 5wheel bunkhouses you may find something there, I do recall seeing some bunkhouse models that separate bunk spaces.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
17 MS 36 RSSB3
Gone 04 HH DA LS 33.5 RLTG
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

belairbrian

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The longest I've seen was a 53' custom built. We were in a state park that sites were first come first serve, but one was coned off, a pull through. Later the rig showed up. It was built on a moving van chassis. and pulled by a single axle tractor.

It was a traveling preacher with 6 kids. The thing had 3 bunk slides, a kitchen slide a a queen slide.

Talking to him he said he learned the hard way, to find a lot in town drop the trailer and drive through the park.He had gone into a park once and found out he couldn't make the turns for the trees. Had to back out.

So he had asked the park to hold the pull through while he went and got the trailer.

TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison
2009 Chaparral 278DS
Reese 16K Slider Hitch, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

smlranger

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree with the suggestion to check with New Horizons. They will build you what you want but it will be expensive. Also, their rigs are heavy so you will certainly be needing more than the F350. Most of the New Horizons I've seen are being towed by crew cab Freightliners.

2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much and how often are you planning on moving around? If not much, you might consider "destination trailers" or "park model" trailers. These are kind of between an RV and a manufactured home. They are mobile but not the kind of thing you'd want to haul around every weekend.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> I need a large 5th wheel but am I looking too large?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS