RV.Net Open Roads Forum: I need a large 5th wheel but am I looking too large?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> I need a large 5th wheel but am I looking too large?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A newbie starting out with a 50 foot 5er? That will be interesting to watch.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

khtims75

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I think I have heard enough to know that the 50 footer is not going to be my option. I don't want to go through the hassle of maxing out my capacity and I certainly don't want to add this much to the inconveniences as I'm sure there will be many other inconveniences without having an oversized rig.

Thanks again everyone for your answers. You have quickly educated me against making a bad choice. [emoticon]

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of used tow haulers available with many having a second or half bath in the garage. Divide the garage into two bedrooms for the boys. Most are fine with a 350/3500 DRW TV.

They can close the door to the garage and have their "space"!

* This post was edited 08/06/19 09:38pm by Me Again *

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

khtims75 wrote:

Well, I think I have heard enough to know that the 50 footer is not going to be my option. I don't want to go through the hassle of maxing out my capacity and I certainly don't want to add this much to the inconveniences as I'm sure there will be many other inconveniences without having an oversized rig.

Thanks again everyone for your answers. You have quickly educated me against making a bad choice. [emoticon]

How many total people and what ages do you need to fit in your 5th. wheel? What kind of RVing are planning on doing? short trips? long 3 month trips? what parts of the country do you plan on RVing in? Where are you planning to spend your winters? As you answer these questions you will begin to get a more realistic picture of what your RV needs are realistically.

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/19 11:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is this 50 ft. 3 br. fifth wheel you speak of? Never saw anything like that except for custom made $$$$ rigs.
B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 02:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Suggest you visit the Escapees HDT forum.
LOTS of long, heavy 5th wheel owners there - lots of info & experience!

Escapees also has an MDT forum.

Length is *NOT* reciprocal between states. "Getting away" with excess length may work "sometimes" - but when it doesn't you *WILL* be in a jam!

65 ft (combined length) max...[emoticon]

~

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 04:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

khtims75 wrote:

Maybe going smaller is really the solution here and give up some comforts.

That is probably a good idea. 50' is a lot of 5th wheel to be moving around and parking.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 04:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thing to consider if you are buying new, most manufacturers will void the warranty if your living in it. Grand Design does not have this limitation.

Good luck.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Thank you! And thank you to the others offering great opinions. I guess I will be topping out the F350. I will consider the Dodge... OR F450.. Ugh. Maybe going smaller is really the solution here and give up some comforts. This was a really good discussion so far.

The F450 pickup has the same front and rear axle ratings as the F350 DRW so you gain no weight carrying capacity there.

Its the F450 Ford or a 4500 Ram C&C (cab and chassis) that has the 11k-12k rear axle ratings. These are popular as a MDT with big RV trailers or commercial haulers, especially with a custom made bed of your choice.

I want to stress this to you.....With many state having length restrictions you need to do your home work there. Most offer a (1) day over size (length) permit as you pass through their state.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/19 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First off... Welcome to the forums! Keep reading, and keep posting questions. And don't feel shy to read from all the forums on this site. There is good information on all of them. You may pick up some good information on the truck camper forum when you are actually a travel trailer owner. Many things posted are common for everyone. Good info on all of them.

About length. We went from an 18 foot travel trailer pulled with a 1500 Chevy Suburban, worked our way up to a 41 foot Fifth Wheel pulled by a 3500 diesel 1 ton dualy. Each step up, 18 feet, to 31, to 35 to 41 presented its own challenges. But nothing prepared me going from a 35 foot travel trailer to a 41 foot fifth wheel.

What were the problems with the 41 foot fifth wheel? First, the height. Adding about 2 feet taller created more wind resistance when driving. My fuel mileage dropped some. Second, I have no problems with overpasses or fuel stations, but low hanging trees in campgrounds was not something I experienced with a travel trailer. No need to. They weren't that tall. Now, after several encounters with low hanging branches, I'm finally fully aware ... to look up!

Second, is the length. I wasn't prepared for the extra 5 feet of length. Not that the extra length makes it hard backing into campsites. What I wasn't prepared for was the trailer swing. I've clipped the drivers side rear twice now. First time was near the roof (yea, low hanging tree), and the second time was near the bottom, and knocked of the corner trim. Fortunate, neither incident created any serious damage that couldn't be patched up. Oh, I have a dent and some scratches now, but nothing got broken, except some trim I was able to replace.

The trailer swing is no issue on the road or even gas stations. I'm aware of my surroundings. But in campgrounds, navigating through trees and tight turns, well, you can't always tell what's going on. However, just 2 days ago I installed a rear observation camera so maybe this will help a bit seeing what's actually going on behind the camper.

The third thing I wasn't prepared for was shoddy craftsmanship. Spending a fortune on a new camper, one one expect it to be bullet proof. Ha! Fat chance. The closet shelf holding the clothes bar along the back wall completely broke off. I just finished rebuilding the closet from my patch work I did about 6 months ago. I used real wood and did some real remodeling in there.

Which brings up another issues, I wasn't aware of with longer trailers... the rear end bounce! The king pin may bounce up and down only an inch, but the pivot point on the axles can make the rear end move a foot up and down, and with a lot more force, causing .... yea ... the closet along the back wall to break.

Well, not only the closet, but the door to the bedroom broke, paneling staples popped out, and the underbelly of the camper broke out. All because of the extreme force from the long rear overhang. Well, each item was fixed (by me), strengthened, modified, and made rock solid now!

Which brings up item 4: Be prepared to fix thing yourself. I've always done my own repairs and fixes on all my campers in the past, except those items I could not do because of time or lack of availability of tools... like new tires, ect. But I wasn't prepared for the constant upkeep of this trailer. Again, I think it's because of the length, it just takes a greater beating than any of my shorter travel trailers.... And we travel a lot. We are on the road almost every week-end. We got the camper September 2018 and we've probably put 15,000 miles on it already. So, it's taking a beating. Be prepared for unending fixes. It will happen.

Well, hopefully, I gave you something else to think about. Maybe this is not the best news you wanted to hear, but it is reality! Good luck in your choices.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> I need a large 5th wheel but am I looking too large?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS