RV.Net Open Roads Forum: I need a large 5th wheel but am I looking too large?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> I need a large 5th wheel but am I looking too large?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/19 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

redhooker wrote:

We full-timed for three years with two boys and a 50 pound dog. I will advise you on what we found worked for us, perhaps it can better prepare you for your journey.

I would only consider a toy hauler, a bunkhouse would be my second choice. Toy haulers are unbeatable when it came to packing up large items quickly such as bikes, outdoor furniture, and other things full timers with kids accumulate. I would want a trailer in the 40 to 43 foot range. Triple axle, with at least 3 to 4000 pounds of cargo carrying capacity.

A bath and a half would be fantastic, I don’t know that we would’ve needed 2 showers with only one hot water heater. Which brings up my next item, at least a 10 gallon water heater.

With two bathrooms I would also like to mention that I would definitely prefer a single sewer outlet.
I would want a East/West bed in a slide out, with the large front closet for full-time use.
I would opt for no dinette. Maximum seating with the TV in a great position to watch.
I would prefer the washer/dryer be somewhere other than the master bedroom. We were running clothes constantly at night and I preferred to not listen to the machine when I sleep.
We live in Florida, so for full-time a residential fridge would be ideal. In the summer there is no RV freezer that will keep ice cream cold enough for our taste. The ice maker is also a blessing.

You can modify the top bunk on a Happijac to (2) twin beds in a North/South configuration. Just build a new longer deck. Ependydad on the Forest River forum did the same thing. Alternatively, one can sleep in the loft. The important thing is to have designated sleeping spaces that do not need to be taken apart and put together on a daily basis. The toy hauler allowed us to put 2 dressers in the garage for the boys to keep their clothes in. This was actually a huge feature for us.

Good luck on your search and I hope one or two of our suggestions might be of help.

Hey, that's me. [emoticon] I largely agree with what redhooker said with a couple of caveats.

First, here's a tour of our garage. The kids share a sleeping space but I did do the north/south beds on the Happijac lift (write-up and video):
https://learntorv.com/toy-hauler-kids-room/

Second, I DO NOT recommend the use of lofts as sleeping areas unless they have 2 ways of getting in/out (such as: entry + emergency exit). Those with just 1 can be death sentences in the event of an emergency.

Third, I've had the washer/dryer in the master bedroom and now back in the garage. Honestly, I couldn't care less where it is. It never intruded on our sleep.

The absolute most important part of fulltiming is the cargo carrying capacity. A 50' rig with only a 21,000 lbs. GVWR is going to have very minimal ability to carry cargo. My 43' toy hauler has 5,100 lbs. and that was unusually high from what we found. Add another 7' of RV and likely furniture/whatnot, you're going to eat into that. Our 42' bunkhouse had 3,500 lbs and I was happy with that. Friends are in a 40' mid-bunk model and have under 2,000 lbs.

I've buckled the frame of a camper from being overloaded. I won't overload my rig again and strongly suggest no one else does.

My second biggest advice, really focus on your needs. I hear you say you want 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. There's a Voltage toy hauler that has something like that. But honestly, if someone needs some space- a Clam Screen Shelter setup outside is an easy way to get that. If you need 2 people showering at the same time, there are bath houses. (Though, ironically- a bath and a half are a requirement for us; I don't like my disgusting kids and guests using my bathroom regularly.)

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> I need a large 5th wheel but am I looking too large?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.