RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Battery Draining...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery Draining...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing for sure, your battery has seen better days and needs replacing. We all got the crappy batteries from our dealers when purchasing new, first trip out I noticed the new dealer battery having difficulty holding up with demand.

Whether you have an underlying issue or this is expected operation, a dual battery set up will pay dividends by letting you use all the latest technology on your new RV for longer periods, particularly if you choose golfcart batteries.

Use a voltmeter to determine proper function of your electrical system, ensure the converter is indeed applying the proper charging voltage to your battery, hopefully you will notice that it changes as it goes through various charging stages.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one of these and find it very useful when trying to track down where my energy is going. It is one of very few that can read DC amps. I also keep my camper plugged in with a 10 amp battery maintainer at home.

Clamp on DC ampmeter

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/19 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A good battery should not go dead in a week of non use unless your parasitic amp draw is too high. I would check that first by disconnecting the neg battery cable and setting your free HF multi meter to 10 amps and record the reading between the neg cable and neg post. If it is an amp or more something is probably left on and should be tracked down and turned off. An amp of less is probably normal parasitic draw. Mine is .4 amps and will not draw the battery down that quickly. I would then fully charge the batteries then disconnect the neg cable, with a good battery it will last at least a month with no charge. If it goes dead in a week your battery is bad and needs replacement or equalizing to see if it can be brought back first before replacing.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

Just slightly off topic but my 2011 Suburban will run down the battery after a weekend of non-use. I now carry a Noco Genius Boost model GB40 which is a starter not a battery charger. My battery charge indicator was down to 10 volts recently after a couple of days and the car would not start. The Noco started it up right away.
BTW there are other such devices on the market. I'm not promoting mine.

Sounds like your battery is shot.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personal Opinion

If my vehicle sat a lot and couldn't withstand a full month without running the battery down, a maintenance charger would be added OR, the battery would have be disconnected 100% during storage (if not catastrophic to resuming normal operation). Cycling a standard car battery ruins it in short order.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery Draining...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.