|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Stabilizing a Class C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I notice that many Class C's do not have automatic levelers and many just use blocks under the tires. My question is with the MH just being supported by the suspension how do you keep the MH from moving when you walk inside? Is the movement less in a shorter class C say 24 ft vs 30 ft? Is the movement less with a heavier suspension say 450 vs 350? Been looking at 24 ft MH's with a full wall slide. In my Class A I notice a lot of movement when the levelers are not extended.

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 24' 2012 Nexus E-350 C, no slides or levelers, I use the yellow Leggo blocks and they work just fine. Hardly any movement in the coach. The heavy duty Bilstein's probably help.

[emoticon]

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 30ft Cambria is mostly stable without the levelers down but personally i would not be without them, especially on breezy or windy days.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of the Sprinter based coaches have power rear stabilizer jacks included, or as an option, that can be deployed to help keep the coach from moving when people walk around inside. They're similar to some of the stabilizing jacks you'll see on either end of a travel trailer. Our '18 Navion has them, but really hasn't needed them in our travels, so far.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Winnebago Bob

United States

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Winnebago Aspect 27K. Small slides both sides. 29'4" length. 10'4" height. Came with auto-levelers and we wouldn't be without them. They make our unit solid as a rock...

2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

Winnebago Bob

United States

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

My 30ft Cambria is mostly stable without the levelers down but personally i would not be without them, especially on breezy or windy days.

Which model do you have?

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw a few when I was looking that had stabilizers like you see on trailers. Not for leveling, strictly for stabilizing after level. Would obviously be much cheaper to install.

Personally I was convinced I wanted levelers, but after using the motorhome for a few months I decided the movement doesn't bother me so I'm not going to get them. Yellow Legos for me!

I did install A Levelmate Pro though, which tells you exactly how many inches each wheel needs to be raised. I really like it, level first shot every time

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Winnebago Bob wrote:

klutchdust wrote:

Which model do you have?

Cambria

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camperdave wrote:

I did install A Levelmate Pro though, which tells you exactly how many inches each wheel needs to be raised. I really like it, level first shot every time

When I first got my class C, I used some math to make a little leveling ruler calibrated in the number of ramps (2x wooden ones, in my case) needed to achieve leveling, one side for left-to-right leveling and the other for front-to-back leveling. I'd take my level and special ruler, set the level on the floor, and lift whichever end was low and measure how many ramps were needed. It worked very nicely indeed.

Pretty soon, I was able to eyeball the distance from the raised level end and didn't really need the ruler. Not long after that the level got lost and was replaced with one that's a different length, which of course throws the ruler calibration all off, and I haven't made a new one.

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

camperdave wrote:

When I first got my class C, I used some math to make a little leveling ruler calibrated in the number of ramps (2x wooden ones, in my case) needed to achieve leveling, one side for left-to-right leveling and the other for front-to-back leveling. I'd take my level and special ruler, set the level on the floor, and lift whichever end was low and measure how many ramps were needed. It worked very nicely indeed.

Pretty soon, I was able to eyeball the distance from the raised level end and didn't really need the ruler. Not long after that the level got lost and was replaced with one that's a different length, which of course throws the ruler calibration all off, and I haven't made a new one.

one cool thing about the Levelmate is you can turn it on when driving (it displays on a phone). Meaning it will give you real-time level info as you slowly drive around the Walmart looking for the most level spot.

My buttometer is not yet as finely calibrated as yours. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Stabilizing a Class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS