RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Ice cream?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Ice cream?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cpaulsen

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/19 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ours freezes it so hard you can't dish it up...….just adjust the temp control to make it right...…….no problems now/

cpaulsen

Gearitis

Waco TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/19 05:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No problem here keeping Ice Cream. Suggestion is to freeze a couple of small butter tubs of water and place those in the freezer after 24 hour cool down on the fridge. I know it takes up space but it will help take down the temp a few more degrees. We keep sugar free popsicles and a half gallon of Blue Bell in ours when we go camping. 105 degree weather like now.

2015 F-350 King Ranch
2015 Sabre Silhouette Select 312RKDS

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 05:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gearitis wrote:

No problem here keeping Ice Cream. Suggestion is to freeze a couple of small butter tubs of water and place those in the freezer after 24 hour cool down on the fridge. I know it takes up space but it will help take down the temp a few more degrees. We keep sugar free popsicles and a half gallon of Blue Bell in ours when we go camping. 105 degree weather like now.

One month the host site I was on was in direct sun, and the outside temps stayed over 100. I realized how much cold air fell out when I opened the door. I started to store the MT containers in the fridge. Put leftovers in a container, and switch it for one like it that was full of air. Use the last of milk? Put the jug back in until get back from store. Looked like the temp would drop back to normal quicker after door was closed. After a while, spent less time with the door open, because I knew where it would fit.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your fridge is in a slide. I’d bet there are some improvements to the installation clearances, baffling, insulation, and airflow assist (fan) on the backside that could be made. Manufacturers just don’t take the time and effort necessary to maximize the performance of absorption fridges.

Is there any difference in performance when the fridge is running in AC mode vs LP mode?

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super_Dave wrote:

Why won’t RV freezers keep ice cream frozen? Meat freezes, ice freezes but ice cream is always mush.

Do you have fruit in it? Many times. Home made ice cream with bannas, strawberries, or pineapples, will not freeze solid

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ours does in our 15 year old motor home. Most of the time is is quite solid but less so if we crowd the frig. It has a cold setting from 1 to 5 and we adjust from 3 to 4. I think having our burner replaced helped even more. I don't have an answer but I think something is wrong if it doesn't keep ice cream edible?

Jayco-noslide

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/19 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gearitis wrote:

Better yet, get some freezer gel packs and put them in the deep freeze at home (assuming you have one). A deep freeze gets well below zero and the gel packs will hold that temp for a long time, especially when in the freezer. Will also help to stabilize the temp when the door's open.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/19 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco-noslide wrote:

Ours does in our 15 year old motor home. Most of the time is is quite solid but less so if we crowd the frig. It has a cold setting from 1 to 5 and we adjust from 3 to 4. I think having our burner replaced helped even more. I don't have an answer but I think something is wrong if it doesn't keep ice cream edible?

I've used one of those little 2" battery fans in my fridge for years. I do think it helps keep the air stirred up enough so that I'm able to drop the setting down one and I rarely have anything freeze.

Lyle

PNW_Steve

Pacific Northwet & cold

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have owned three absorbtion refrigerators. None of them would keep ice cream well in hot weather.

I have spent a lot of time in AZ and TX. I gave up on buying ice-cream any time it was over 80-90F outside.

My solution was to replace them with 10.8cu.ft. residential refrigerators. No problem keeping ice-cream solid and ice "dry" if you know what I mean.

My 5'er has two golf cart batteries, a 1000 watt PSW inverter, 300 watts of solar and a 25 amp shore charger.

This setup has served me pretty well for almost four years and 6000 miles. The batteries have lost some capacity over time and will probably be replaced next year. This season I have had to run the generator a bit more than past seasons.

We are working on our "new to us" rig that will sport 1800 watts of solar and a much larger battery bank (24 volt 430 a/h). No more generator needed! Well.. Not unless it gets cloudy [emoticon]

We love the space of the 10.8 fridges. They seem enormous inside compared to the absorption fridges they replaced.

2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am always on the lookout for huckleberry ice cream when traveling up North.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Ice cream?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS