RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Ice cream?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Ice cream?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
camper1013

Twin Cities

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have heard it has to be on the bottom left. Must be the way the coils are that it's colder in that spot. We usually have ice cream along and it has always worked for us.

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Dometic Refrigerator freezer compartment has three zones- the top will freeze anything hard as a rock, the next two shelves will keep frozen food solid but takes a day or so to freeze items not already frozen. The bottom shelf keeps items colder than the refrigerator but rarely will freeze anything.

So we keep ice cream at the top and it stays hard.

It does seem though that some ice cream now days doesn't seem to freeze hard even at home in a residential fridge. We currently have a 3 gallon bucket of ice cream from Kroger that has stayed soft for about two weeks so far. I experienced this with other ice creams as well (usually the cheap stuff).

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's the carrageenan, and guar gum they put in there to add "body". Good ice cream has neither, but getting harder to find.

That's why the cheap stuff never melts completely, and there's a lump of "stuff" that's left.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

If I understand you correctly, you added a fan in the food part of fridge and not the freezer?

The working medium passes through the freezer first, so adding a fan seems to me to do nada for the freezer. I know it makes no difference in my freezer whether the fan is "on" or "off".

Adding a fan to the "back" (chimney) of the fridge does improve cooling time and freezer operation.

philh wrote:

I added a computer fan inside the fridge. Freezer easily keeps ice cream frozen.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/19 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Entrained butterfat!

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/19 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guess Im in the minority. My freezer won't freeze 'scream' either.

Freezes everything else quite nicely.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I almost forgot that not all ice cream is created equal. I only buy Blue Bell at home, because it’s still sold in full half-gallon tubs, and they don’t whip a bunch of air into it before filling them. It freezes hard as a rock if your freezer goes low enough. I don’t even look at all that other phony stuff next to it in the grocery store.

If your favorite brand is sold in three pint containers, it’s not REAL ice cream, and it will always be soft. Every ice cream connie-sewer knows this.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The coldest spot in most RV fridge is the back lower left hand corner. Keep the carton shoved back in that corner.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

If I understand you correctly, you added a fan in the food part of fridge and not the freezer

YMMV... but the fan in the fridge makes the freezer colder. If you think about it, the freezer temperature is heat transfer conduction from the freezer. Pushing the air across the fins not only helps convection, but also conduction... or I'm full of brown stuff and just have a good fridge [emoticon]

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

If I understand you correctly, you added a fan in the food part of fridge and not the freezer

YMMV... but the fan in the fridge makes the freezer colder. If you think about it, the freezer temperature is heat transfer conduction from the freezer. Pushing the air across the fins not only helps convection, but also conduction... or I'm full of brown stuff and just have a good fridge [emoticon]

Freezer and food compartment are completely separate...no connection between the two compartments

Freezer Low Temp Evap Coil gets the coldest ammonia to absorb the heat from freezer THEN that ammonia tries to absorb heat from food compartment.
The colder the freezer gets the more capacity the ammonia will have to absorb heat from food compartment

Freezer temp will affect food compartment temp.....food compartment temp does not affect freezer temp
Warm food compartment temp will cause thermostat to turn heat source on more frequently which in affect will cause freezer to get colder EVEN if food compartment does not get colder...

Fan circulating the cool air inside the food compartment helps to even out the overall temp in food compartment regardless of freezer temp

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Ice cream?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS