|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Topper under mattress

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
scootsk

Long Island, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As always the new Denver premiuim mattress in my new FW sucks. I've used mattress pads in the past but i sweat like a hog. The matress itself is very comfortable but at my larger than normal human size after about half hour my hip is hitting plywood. I was thinking about getting an extra firm topper and putting it under the mattress. Anybody ever do this?

Don, Kathleen
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.7 CTD/AISIN
2019 Montana 3791 Fifth Wheel

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

scootsk wrote:

As always the new Denver premiuim mattress in my new FW sucks. I've used mattress pads in the past but i sweat like a hog. The matress itself is very comfortable but at my larger than normal human size after about half hour my hip is hitting plywood. I was thinking about getting an extra firm topper and putting it under the mattress. Anybody ever do this?

Actually. I had a friend that works at a foam factory cut me a piece of 4" med firm foam. I at first put it on top of the mattress. But that made it too soft. We now have it under the mattress, and it works GREAT.
Just enough cushion.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi scootsk,

I did a topper--which helped with the hip on the wood problem--but exacerbated the sweat problem.

Then I purchased an electric mattress pad (because I do much cold weather travel). I found that it fixed the sweating issues.

Here is how I 'stack' the bed:

mattress-->fitted sheet-->gel topper (thick)-->mattress pad-->fitted sheet-->me-->top sheet-->blanket-->bed spread

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting thought on putting the topper on the bottom. I guess that would work well as long as you aren't finding the mattress uncomfortable for reasons other than just general thickness.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/19 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wouldn't that be a Bottomer? Seriously, those Denver mattresses are almost as bad as the real cheap ones they put in less expensive campers. I think I would just buy a new mattress. What if you spend the money on a topper to put under the mattress and it doesn't solve your problem? Now you've thrown money away. Go to a mattress store, test some out and buy one that meets your needs. BTW, make sure you get the right size! My Denver Premium Mattress in my 5th Wheel was marketed as a King Size but it's actually an "Olympic Queen" (66" X 80") and not readily found. They have to be special ordered usually.

If God didn't want us to eat cows, he wouldn't have made them out of Steak and Cheese.

Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

Wouldn't that be a Bottomer? Seriously, those Denver mattresses are almost as bad as the real cheap ones they put in less expensive campers. I think I would just buy a new mattress. What if you spend the money on a topper to put under the mattress and it doesn't solve your problem? Now you've thrown money away. Go to a mattress store, test some out and buy one that meets your needs. BTW, make sure you get the right size! My Denver Premium Mattress in my 5th Wheel was marketed as a King Size but it's actually an "Olympic Queen" (66" X 80") and not readily found. They have to be special ordered usually.

Friend cut mine for only $35.00. Money well spent

Lwiddis

Veterans’ Park, Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/19 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The thicker backpacking pads work well but compare prices.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/19 12:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For not much more $$$ you can just replace the mattress. We tried a topper first then just bought a 12" Zinus foam mattress. Took care if the problem.
B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 03:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having the same problem. Our old unit we started with the topper on top,then moved it to the bottom and had great success. We have traded units and am having no luck with the topper on top or bottom. I have come to think the mattress plays a bigger part in this than thought.

It took us many months of looking for a mattress for the house just can not think of looking for one for the camper but think its coming to that.

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

scootsk

Long Island, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/19 03:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

craig7h wrote:

Having the same problem. Our old unit we started with the topper on top,then moved it to the bottom and had great success. We have traded units and am having no luck with the topper on top or bottom. I have come to think the mattress plays a bigger part in this than thought.

It took us many months of looking for a mattress for the house just can not think of looking for one for the camper but think its coming to that.

I like this mattress. It’s pretty comfortable. It’s just a bit too thin. I’ve used topper with comfort success but I get way too hot. Never thought of putting it on the bottom until I had the epiphany the other day. I said I must post this question to RVnet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Topper under mattress
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS