|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Slide out awnings

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
CaLBaR

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/19 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Recently put one on my new trailer. Loved the one on the last one and love this one. I wish I could put on on the second slide but the awing would interfere. For all the reasons mentioned above I will always have them.

2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/19 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed mine myself. Love them.

CaLBaR - You can install them on the slide with the awning. I did it. Several threads discussing this on the GrandDesign RV forum.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

CaLBaR

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/19 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

CaLBaR - You can install them on the slide with the awning. I did it. Several threads discussing this on the GrandDesign RV forum.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I am a member on the GD forum as well. I guess I should be more clear that my awning goes over the top of the slide out and is not attached to the side. Not enough room when the awning goes out or under the awning to put one on or so it seems. Maybe you have pictures if yours is like mine.

Rob

Pine Barren

Northwest Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/19 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes for all the reasons previously stated. I did however take the big swim noodles and use them to slide under the topper when it rains to help let the water run off and not cause it to sage in a bad down pour. The reason I did this was because I was in a bad downpour and the awnings sages enough to cause the water to run off on top of slide .

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/19 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CaLBaR wrote:

Walaby wrote:

Mike

Thanks Mike. I am a member on the GD forum as well. I guess I should be more clear that my awning goes over the top of the slide out and is not attached to the side. Not enough room when the awning goes out or under the awning to put one on or so it seems. Maybe you have pictures if yours is like mine.

Rob

Aha... No, mine's not like yours.

I could see that being a problem.

Interesting setup. Not sure I've seen that before.

Mike

CaLBaR

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

CaLBaR wrote:

Walaby wrote:

Mike

Rob

Aha... No, mine's not like yours.

I could see that being a problem.

Interesting setup. Not sure I've seen that before.

Mike

Yes pretty much like everything about our trailer but they really should have put 2 awnings on it with one on the slideout like what you have. Other models have that just not sure why they did this one this way.

Rob

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pine Barren wrote:

Yes for all the reasons previously stated. I did however take the big swim noodles and use them to slide under the topper when it rains to help let the water run off and not cause it to sage in a bad down pour. The reason I did this was because I was in a bad downpour and the awnings sages enough to cause the water to run off on top of slide .

How do swim noodles help? Being they are so small in diameter, don't see how they can be effective. Plus, how do you get them onto the tops of the slides? Have seen a thread or 2 where folks put blow up beach balls under the toppers so rain doesn't sag them, but same question....how do you get them between the topper and slide and out? Plus, it would seem to me that one would need a tall ladder to do this, especially the front ones.

FWIW, we have the slide-n-slide and toppers are on everything and love them. Have seen some mfr's where the toppers actually have a angle on them due to them being attached higher than slide where some are more/less at same angle w/o much of a tilt for water to run off...thus the sag.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Braces

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YES

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/19 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They’re a yes for me, but there are pros and cons:
https://learntorv.com/slide-toppers-aka-awnings-definitely/

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/19 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saw a DIY article about a guy who was having issues with his in-slide fridge cooling well. He cut some plywood that fits over the slide "flange" that allows him to put a rod in a groove on the plywood and holds a simple tarp. Stakes the lower end of the tarp down to provide shade over the fridge slide. Said it made a huge difference in how his fridge cooled. IIRC was in Trailer Life a few months ago.

Lyle

* This post was edited 08/12/19 11:37am by laknox *

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Slide out awnings
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS