RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Why not forget holding tanks and just use portable tanks?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Why not forget holding tanks and just use portable tanks?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/19 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wowens79 wrote:

Most pop ups don't have holding tanks. We had one for 9 years, and used a 5 gallon aqua-tainer to catch our gray water. Never had an issue in state parks. I think you might have some issues in some of the private campgrounds. I've seen many of those that don't allow converted trailers or buses, it has to be a factory built RV.

When I had a pop-up camper, here's what we were dealing with at St. Andrews SP in FL. Look at the lower right of the bulletin board on the bath house.

[image]

But, this was the ONLY campground I've ever noticed this. We've had to use our blue tote many times at campgrounds that lacked full hookups. It's a PITA. Our tote is only 10 gallons. But that's still 83.4 pounds, plus the weight of the tote. Too heavy to pull by hand very far, too heavy to lift safely into the bed of my truck, and the wheels are sketchy behind a vehicle... but I have towed it with my truck. I just kept the speed down, and sprayed the wheels/axles with lube before rolling.

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

Mfan

Otsego,Mi

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X 2 on the pop up thoughts. Then using a porta potty, you would only need to carry a small jug for sink to drain to.

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It might work for gray water, but solid waste out of the toilet isn’t going to easily flow down RV-sized pipes directly from the toilet. You’d need a lot of water and larger pipes or place your tank directly under the toilet.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Lwiddis

Near USFS Glass Creek CG, Inyo County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/19 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Full twenty gallon tote weighs 170-175. Wheels or not that's a load and no fun.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2manytoyz wrote:

When I had a pop-up camper, here's what we were dealing with at St. Andrews SP in FL. Look at the lower right of the bulletin board on the bath house.

I tried a bit of googling on the statute numbers on the sign. I didn't see anything specifically banning tote tanks. Maybe it's cross-referenced in their statutes. Would be interesting to see the exact wording, if any. Or is it just the particular CG that just doesn't want people dragging smelly noisy totes around?

What if your tote tank is grey or you painted it pink?? [emoticon]

Have been to a couple of CGs in Oregon where they said you can't lay you sewer hose directly on the ground. Most people do it anyway. It's a nuisance to have to set up hose supports especially if you have two outlets. I never do it. I tried to find the Oregon law once and couldn't. Maybe another example of CGs referencing rules that don't exist?

Gil, Deb & Dougal a 15 year old Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH, shocks and Endurance LRE tires
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty trailering option

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/19 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you straight piped the toilet to the portable tank, and used a std home style toilet then I’d might work for the black tank. Not sure what you gain.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its hard to comprehend why companies like Barker and Thetford, who manufacture and market tote tanks that are such a PITA to use and are illegal in so many campgrounds, continue to do so.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about a real idea?

If you have enough height inside your trailer perhaps consider building a subfloor on top of the existing floor. Sort of like 5th wheel trailers have a "basement" which is where their tanks are put.

Typically most RV tanks are 7 inches or a bit less tall so you could easily make a new floor around 7" higher for the bathroom only or the entire living space. This would also give you a chase for other plumbing and electrical items.

Setup your layout correctly and you could make the tanks go under kitchen or even beds so your raised floor may not need to be the entire living space.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillyBob Jim wrote:

Its hard to comprehend why companies like Barker and Thetford, who manufacture and market tote tanks that are such a PITA to use and are illegal in so many campgrounds, continue to do so.

I recognize your sarcasm. But at the same time I know a lot of things are made to sell, not to use.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to do that with gray water only back in my Trailer days. Left the tote IN the trailer when I upgraded to an "A".

Only for Gray Used a port-a-potty though so it had a "luggagle" tank as well

Never have I been in a park with a sign like the Florida one. but then I don't park in florida (For assorted reasons I will not talk about here).

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Why not forget holding tanks and just use portable tanks?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS