|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Downloading at Campground

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
sbryan@vtbryans.com

Vermont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/19 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We offload if we're going to be staying a while (defined as 5-6 days or more). When we went to Alaska last year we left the camper on the truck the entire trip because we were never in one place for more than 2 days. The beauty of the truck camper is you can take it into town or wherever else you need or want to go. If you can park the truck empty you can park it loaded with the camper.

Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

mi.drew

Greenbush, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I normally unload so I can launch the boat in the morning and in the evening to go fishing. That way my wife doesn't have to leave camp each time.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have a TC so I can't download the camper. When I get set up at a CG, I upload my beer.

Tripalot

Golden Horseshoe, Ont. Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/19 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we had our truck camper, we usually left it on the truck. We would do some hard hiking or bicycling, come back and take showers. This renewed us and we felt presentable to go shopping or out for supper, whatever. Reloading was a bit of a chore for us as we had max. 1 inch of clearance on each side between the camper and the box. We got good at it, but sometimes it was a challenge getting lined up etc.

2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

rickeoni

home

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do when we bring the boat.

[image]

2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to make frequent business trips to Atlanta that would be 1-3 weeks long. I always took my camper and stayed in one of the COE parks around Lake Allatoona, the KOA that used to be in Kennesaw, or Brookwood RV Park in Marietta. I always took the camper off then so I could commute to work every day. Nobody minded, and it worked great for me.

Since then, it’s pretty rare but I have done it recently in Acadia NP in Maine. Some of the old stone arched bridges in the park are pretty low clearance, so we took the camper off there. So in short, I do it when it’s needed.

BradW said: “Dang manual trannies, you just can't depend on them.....give me a good reliable automatic any day.”

I guess old dogs CAN learn new tricks when necessary! [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We rarely unload. It's not that hard, but as short as the TC is it travels pretty well without unloading.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

bookmaker

Marianna, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/19 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As some noted above, we do both. One of the main reasons we have owned a truck camper for the last 14 years is to be able to tow a trailer, but still set up camp and have a vehicle to use without taking down camp.

The length of stay makes a lot of difference, but we have taken it off when we were just staying a weekend. Also a lot depends on local transportation options. Rose and I like to stay at Disney's Ft Wilderness campground in Orlando. We never remove the camper there because the resort transportation will get us anywhere we want to go, assuming we don't plan to leave the Disney properties.

If we are on a boating trip or going sight seeing, off it will come.

Just be mindful that some of the more hotty totty campgrounds don't allow them to be removed. We generally don't want to stay at these anyway.

Dale

Dale & Rose Cavin, Marianna, FL
2004 Dodge Laramie dually , Cummins diesel
2010 Lance 1181
Previous:
2004 Lance 1121 (lost to hurricane Michael 10/10/18)

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I was going to unload at campgrounds on a regular basis I'd buy me a travel trailer.

2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945

lap527

Ocala, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We always keep ours on. I like having my facilities with us at all times. Then again we don't travel on many dirt back roads. Another factor is the hitch and truss that we have on truck to tow our motorcycle trailer.

2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/
14'V Nose Trailer Hauling 2014 Tri-glide Harley Davidson, sold boat and razr 900, slowing down some!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Downloading at Campground
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS