|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> What do I need

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
6.7 tow rig

kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know from searches and skimming there are about a million different options as far as hitches, sliders, non sliders, etc. But I am still confused as we have been in a travel trailer for the last 16 years. I have a 2018 Ram 2500 4x4 short bed and am looking at a Grand Design 311bhs. What hitch do I need? I dont want to have cab to trailer contact on accident and want something fool proof. I've seen sliders but also something that hooks to the kingpin on the RV instead? I'm sure it's been asked before but help me please. I am also worried about bed clearance to the rv because my driveway is kind of steep getting in. What if anything do I need to be looking at there?

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/19 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Long bed or short bed truck? On a long bed you just get a b/w or pullrite hitch non-sliders. If you truck has bed prep get a hitch that uses that.

You may need a slider on a short bed truck, opinion seems to be divided but a lot of folks seem to think that with a modern fiver with a rounded nose cap on the fiver you do not need one. I have a long bed so I don't know and we went to opposite way, fiver to TT. Non slider is a lot less complicated.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

6.7 tow rig

kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a short bed. What made you go back to travel trailer? I'm not convinced either way. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

ralphnjoann

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/19 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HERE is a very recent and interesting thread which should answer many of your questions.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/19 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6.7 tow rig wrote:

I know from searches and skimming there are about a million different options as far as hitches, sliders, non sliders, etc. But I am still confused as we have been in a travel trailer for the last 16 years. I have a 2018 Ram 2500 4x4 short bed and am looking at a Grand Design 311bhs. What hitch do I need? I dont want to have cab to trailer contact on accident and want something fool proof. I've seen sliders but also something that hooks to the kingpin on the RV instead? I'm sure it's been asked before but help me please. I am also worried about bed clearance to the rv because my driveway is kind of steep getting in. What if anything do I need to be looking at there?

First off, I'm a B&W fan and wouldn't have any other hitch. Second, even the virtually foolproof B&W hitches aren't foolproof if you're STUPID, as I proved in spectacular fashion just a couple hours ago. If you forget to f'n LATCH the hitch after you back into the pin, it WILL fall off onto the truck bed. So, new tailgate and new bed sides instead of just new paint. FW is in better shape than the truck, except for some paint transfer and scratches.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/19 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

6.7 tow rig wrote:

First off, I'm a B&W fan and wouldn't have any other hitch. Second, even the virtually foolproof B&W hitches aren't foolproof if you're STUPID, as I proved in spectacular fashion just a couple hours ago. If you forget to f'n LATCH the hitch after you back into the pin, it WILL fall off onto the truck bed. So, new tailgate and new bed sides instead of just new paint. FW is in better shape than the truck, except for some paint transfer and scratches.

Lyle

So if you back all the way into the king pin, the spring loaded arm should have swung to the closed position, waiting for the safety pin. Do to the design, I believe the hitch would have a 95% chance of staying latched. So there has to be more to the story? Like the king pin lower ridge was to high holding jams open? Or you did not back in all the way! Or you pinned the latch arm open!

Chris

* This post was last edited 08/09/19 10:47pm by Me Again *   View edit history

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/19 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear this happened Lyle!! I also thought jaws would stay closed, even if safety pin was forgotten, due to the cam action design. I'd be interested to hear more, if you feel like sharing.

Maybe time to upgrade the truck. [emoticon]

Jerry

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a bummer Lyle, this stuff happens to all of us so don't feel alone.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/19 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6.7 tow rig wrote:

It's a short bed. What made you go back to travel trailer? I'm not convinced either way. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Well first our fiver had reached that age where it was one problem after another. Some of them major trouble too. Secondly the kids are grown and out of the house so we need less room in our RV. And I decided that a TT is easier to maneuver in some cg, and that we wanted to do more boondocking which would be better with a TT.

Lastly we were just looking around a used RV lot when I spotted the Arctic Fox which as as rare, down here in Florida, as a real Arctic Fox. The nearest dealer was up in the Carolinas. I've wanted one for years and that sealed the deal. The dealer had no idea what a gem he had on the lot and we got a very good deal. The AF are designed to be taken off on back roads too.

6.7 tow rig

kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So is it safe to say that a travel trailer is easier to maneuver and less to worry about on uneven terrain? It seems like bed clearance could be an issue pulling into gas stations, up my driveway, etc.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> What do I need
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS