|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Clean Water Heater

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Per ATWOOD:
1. Turn off your main water supply. Drain you water heater tank. Reinstall drain plug. Remove the pressure-temperature relief valve. With a funnel use 4 parts white vinegar to two parts water. (In a 6 gallon tank that would be 4 gallons vinegar to 2 gallons water).
2. Cycle the water heater, letting it run under normal operation 4-5 times.
At no time do you remove the vinegar from the tank Once this has been completed, remove the drain plug and drain the water heater.
3. After thoroughly draining the tank, to remove the sediment, flush the water heater.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW has corrected my post about the vinegar mixture. I said 2 water to 1 vinegar. She said it was 4 parts water to 1 vinegar. Sorry for the confusion.

Our Phoenix Cruiser 2100, "Bob", has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only time I had egg smell from the hot water. I turned the water pump off Drained the hot water tank. Funnel poured some bleach into the drain hole. Put the drain plug back in. Turned on the water pump. Opened the relief valve till water came out. Shut off water pump. Waited 24 hours and then drained the tank. Ran the pump a bit to flush the bottom of the tank. Turned pump off. Put drain plug back in. Turned on the water pump. Turned on the hot water tap in the kitchen and waited for water to come out of it, done.

Oh it had a slight chlorine smell at first. About the same as when you finish de-winterizing just the pipes. The smell never came back.

2014 Leprechaun 290QB Chevy 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dusty R wrote:

I've seen home water heaters where the hot water smelled like rotten eggs. When the anode rod is removed the rotten smell goes away.

Atwood RV water heaters have aluminum tanks and no anode rod (the OP says his is an Atwood).

Suburban RV water heaters have steel tanks and DO have anode rods. I think the Atwood water heater is by far, more popular with the RV manufacturers than the Suburban.

Charles

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Clean Water Heater
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS