|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spent 2 weeks Baja Sur Mexico roght on the beach, using just a doormat, cooked on a white gas Coleman stove at the picnic table, spent most of my time fishing and swimming.

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillyBob Jim wrote:

Where we host I have a 90 site loop that is almost all grass, more than half of those are totally grass, no gravel or other pads for the rig, put it where you want on the grass.

I cut that grass and have not had any issues with the use of mats killing it. Worst case is a large yellowed spot if someone was there for a week or max 14 days. In those cases it all comes back in 2 or 3 days. Nothing to lose sleep over.
That must be some super super grass. I've stayed at places where after people leave after a couple days, the grass is almost dead where they had they're mat. And no reason for a mat over grass, unless the grass is full of cockleburs.

If the grass is in excellent health, maybe a day or two of mat won't hurt it, but what happens when you have 4 or 5 people in a short time put out a mat for a few days each time? Dead grass.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Door mat for use if needed. Large mats take up to much space to haul.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/19 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gave the mat that came with my new trailer to my daughter to use on her deck at home when they use their screen tent. The mat keeps the mosquitos from coming into the screen tent through the slats on the deck. Best use for a mat I have ever seen.

Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a matt we use when needed. Never has killled the grass. It's the breathable kind. Keeps the dirt and sand out. I wouldn't use a solid matt as those are the ones that kill grass.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a mat, a big and very heavy mat. Wife gave it away at RV rally, and didn't tell me.
We used it once or twice a bear at our age to handle and store.
But we did not put it don on grass, anymore than we would throw cigarette butts and trash in the fire ring, but we don't smoke. We used it on pavement and on a mud hole. Twice I think might have been all. Might have used it on the dirt/sand in AZ.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

We have a matt we use when needed. Never has killled the grass. It's the breathable kind. Keeps the dirt and sand out. I wouldn't use a solid matt as those are the ones that kill grass.

Breatheablility isn't all the issue, mostly it's the lack of direct sunlight. Block the sunlight, kill the grass.

Lightning55

Pleasanton, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

jplante4 wrote:

js218 wrote:

Never understood the big mats, I carry a door mat .

Try camping at a beach. You'll get it.

Camp at the beach a LOT mat goes out then the The Best Door Mat goes on it, very little gets by all that [emoticon]

After the first time we camped at the beach with the grandkids, we learned a lesson. The next time we went, the first thing we did was fill a bucket with sand, opened the door, and threw it into the trailer...after that we had a good time.

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No kids just myself an a 170# Russian bear dog.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lightning55 wrote:

After the first time we camped at the beach with the grandkids, we learned a lesson. The next time we went, the first thing we did was fill a bucket with sand, opened the door, and threw it into the trailer...after that we had a good time.
LOL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS