|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 05:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a mat all the time, goes a long way in keeping the interior of the camper clean. Only one campground I can remember we went that had a mat restriction... and all the campers were using mats.

Other campgrounds have pretty obvious spots to setup with room for a mat.

Local state park is all grass, is pretty much booked for the entire season, and there is little problem with mats killing grass. The only exception to this is when people stay for weeks at a time, but that is almost always in certain sections and is sort of the long term stay area anyways.

I do agree that if someone is going to stay long term, thought should be given to how they affect the campsite. Most campgrounds around me have seasonal areas, which usually have spots to park the camper and/or mats.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 05:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

My question is: Are we referring to breathable RV mats? Or is the problem caused by cheaper generic indoor outdoor carpet being used as an RV mat?
There is a difference between the two.

From the problem,s we are hearing about (dead grass) it's the indoor outdoor carpet that people call a mat. As you and I know, the breathable RV mats don't kill the grass.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a large rubber pad I use as a mat. The only time I use it is when I am at a dirt site and it's raining. Otherwise it stays rolled up and get thrown under the TT.

Someone talked about the grass dying under the RV. The only spots I stay at due indeed have dead grass or, gravel, under the RV. Since that is the spot where you are suppose to park it is going to be like that and it doesn't hurt anything because it's under the RV and everyone parks in the same spot.

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

Grass was dead and gone on that site right at where everyone's awning is door to the coach or other RV and in an almost uniform pattern as if everyone used the same size mat...Grass has been gone in a rather uniform patch there too for some time.
Or maybe the grass is dead in a uniform pattern/patch since that's where everyone walks, cooks, gathers, sits, etc., and has nothing to do with the use of a mat or not.[emoticon]

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/19 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of us put out mats because the spots where we like to camp are in the dirt, gravel, rocks, etc. - a long way from lawn grass and the people that plant it and take care of it.

The less dirt and other shoe-debris stuff on the inside floor, the better, even when camping way out in the boondocks! [emoticon]

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/19 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

down home wrote:

Grass was dead and gone on that site right at where everyone's awning is door to the coach or other RV and in an almost uniform pattern as if everyone used the same size mat...Grass has been gone in a rather uniform patch there too for some time.
Or maybe the grass is dead in a uniform pattern/patch since that's where everyone walks, cooks, gathers, sits, etc., and has nothing to do with the use of a mat or not.[emoticon]

Not unless they wear square shoes and walk in square patterns.
Usually they put their grills out in the grass, as I observed. A couple of chairs or maybe four, if company, under the awning. usually they are gone as we are, fishing, antiquing, visiting her relative, at that one campground. We sit out in the grass watching the ducks and fishermen or around a campfire, in a ring. Have no desire to sit on the dirt or in the mud that is under the awning area. If we make friends and they come over usually it is toward dark and we eat inside and play cards or talk,because of the mud and the dirt and skeeters, even though there is an outside TV.

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

4x4van wrote:

down home wrote:

Not unless they wear square shoes and walk in square patterns.
Usually they put their grills out in the grass, as I observed. A couple of chairs or maybe four, if company, under the awning. usually they are gone as we are, fishing, antiquing, visiting her relative, at that one campground. We sit out in the grass watching the ducks and fishermen or around a campfire, in a ring. Have no desire to sit on the dirt or in the mud that is under the awning area. If we make friends and they come over usually it is toward dark and we eat inside and play cards or talk,because of the mud and the dirt and skeeters, even though there is an outside TV.
So you're saying that everyone uses the exact same size/shape mat? Hmmmm...OK. Can't say that I've ever noticed a "pattern" of dead (or no) grass directly next to RVs in the campgrounds, but then again, most places I camp don't have grass "in the RV space" anyway. Personally, I use an 8'x20' mat pretty much every time. I spend a significant amount of time under my awing cooking, and my outdoor sink table, prep table, and grille/griddle go on that mat, along with my ice chest.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/19 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will have to take measurements, soil samples format contamination make up brand and price and get back to you sometime a long long time from now.

paddykernahan

Westland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

22 foot class B+/C- so no room for a mat.
Made a small rug for the step.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5 pages later, if you're ranting about mat use or justifying it, it proof you has too much time on your hands.....and no real issues to occupy your time with!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS