RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 28  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bert Ackerman wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Just sayin. Businesses will adapt or die.

Just sayin. (I love those words).

You can wish, hope, and write paragraphs until you're blue in the face about business economics. In the late 80s and 90s RVs started growing in size with more powered amenities, and more and more 50 amp services. Most campgrounds have yet to adapt to that right up until today. They did not die.

State and Fed facilities may put in a charging station or two somwhere, but the day of charging your Tesla semi based class A while running 3 15K AC's, the convection oven, and the dryer right at the campsite, is a long way off at most places. You might find an upscale parkinglotesque resort in some select area that will accommodate it, but in the real world where the common folk live good luck.

While I agree many CG's have not added 50 amp services. Any CG that has remodeled since that era have added 50 amp sites.
There are now a few state and federal parks with 50 amp sites.

I am also certain there are many more 50 amp sites available now than in the early 90's.
The same scenario exist in houses as well once upon a time 100 amp service was adequate in a house. However as A/C became mainstream and and power consumption started to grow 200 amp service became the new standard.
The grid and existing homes were retrofitted to provide additional power. Again I agree business will adapt to meet the needs of the times or they will cease to exist
Many,many CG's have adapted and offer at least a few 50 amp sites to meet the needs of their clientele.
Yes there are CG's without 50 amp service that are fine. For the most part they are the only game in town
However most private CG's in that I frequent offer at least some 50 amp service. The CG that I frequent that do not have 50 amp service are all state parks.

I imagine EV infrastructure will spread in the same manner as 50 amp sites.
A proactive condo, apartment or CG will not install 100 new outlets at once.But they may add 2-3,or 5-10 outlets to meet demand.
As demand increases they will add more outlets accordingly.
Business must/will adapt to meet demand.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/19 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone forgotten how the conventional car companies pooh poohed all-electric cars as impossible and will be too costly to be viable?

And now they are scrambling to make one and put their own on the market then finding out they are way behind by several years in technology?

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Remember the introduction of cable TV?

Those screaming neons on the highways saying their hotel-motel has cable. Those who don't got skipped by potential customers?

And now, it's free Wifi. Also now standard as water and shore power on private campsites.

Not hard to imagine that next will be superchargers.

I can remember signs on the restaurant door Air Conditioned inside

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/19 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Remember the introduction of cable TV?

Those screaming neons on the highways saying their hotel-motel has cable. Those who don't got skipped by potential customers?

And now, it's free Wifi. Also now standard as water and shore power on private campsites.

Not hard to imagine that next will be superchargers.

I can remember signs on the restaurant door Air Conditioned inside

Now everyone can guess how old you are.[emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Has anyone forgotten how the conventional car companies pooh poohed all-electric cars as impossible and will be too costly to be viable?
No I don't, but I do remember them saying that they were impractical. And still are for a fairly large segment of the population. Within 10 years, they'll be more practical, unless something else comes along to displace them.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/19 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

No I don't, but I do remember them saying that they were impractical. And still are for a fairly large segment of the population. Within 10 years, they'll be more practical, unless something else comes along to displace them.

Care to explain why it's still impractical for the "fairly large segment of the population."?

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

But I think they would be practical for many people that refuse to try them. And think about how many changes for the better would of happened since solar panels where put on the white house roof if the experiment had been allowed to continue?

Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/19 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Care to explain why it's still impractical for the "fairly large segment of the population."?

Yosemite Sam, by reading the history of your posts, it's evident you assume that the entire country is exactly the same as where you live, and everyone's living conditions are identical to yours.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/19 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bert Ackerman wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Yosemite Sam, by reading the history of your posts, it's evident you assume that the entire country is exactly the same as where you live, and everyone's living conditions are identical to yours.

Never mind me and where I live. I'm not the topic here if you'll notice.

But would you want to answer for @fj12ryder how EV can be impractical?

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/19 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An EV makes sense for many households.

"According to ABC News, the average American drives 16 miles to work each way, with a daily commute totaling nearly an hour round trip."

How Far Do Americans Drive to Work on Average?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 28  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS