RV.Net Open Roads Forum: New to Travel Trailers. What to look for?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> New to Travel Trailers. What to look for?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

optimusprime wrote:

Hey all. I am new here and am wanting to get a TT for my family sometime next year. I would like to hear opinions on what brands to look for regarding reliability, comfort and durability and which ones to stay away from if ya'll wouldn't mind. What do ya'll use and why? I am looking in the 26-30' range with at least 1 slide out. I will be wanting a quad bunk option if I can find it. What say you? Thanks in advance for any tidbits ya'll throw me.

Some great responses so far.

If you advise what tow vehicle you have, you'll get even more information. If you're open to buying a tow vehicle, get more tow vehicle than you think you'll need. You'll be happier in the long run, especially if you plan to do any sort of travelling in the mountain West.

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look for marginal tires, brakes, springs, axles and frames first. You can then look at the pretty things and modify to suit your needs, but the things that make it roadworthy are the most important for reliability. There are many that are pretty much junk if you know what to look for.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tell all first timers: Buy a 2-3 year old used trailer. I will have devalued a lot and you will find out if you like/dislike camping and have a better feeling for what floor plan works for you.

krobbe

West Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some features that became important(that were lacking) while enjoying my first rig:
Walk around bed, room/space for the kids, larger bathroom with a shower and no useless tub(still don't have this), 120v/12v outlets conveniently located throughout(I had to add most of these), good amount of storage that allows for balanced loading(many TT's have most of the storage and water tanks in front of the axles which makes for a really heavy tongue weight), and finally, a tow vehicle that doesn't limit(within reason) what can be packed or carried because of tongue weight limitations.
After my current family TT towing with a 3/4ton Suburban, my next rig will likely be a Northwood ArcticFox towing with a 1Ton dually. Someday...

Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

the e-man

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the world of camping trailers. I'm sure you'll have fun. It can take some time to find the right unit, so its good you are giving yourself plenty of time.

We started with a Jaco 26BH. I wanted something simple and this fit the bill. No slides. Great space for a family of four. As the kids got older and we added a dog, it became a bit too small. Now we have a Grand Design Transcend 28MKS which has a large slide. Everyone is enjoying the extra space.

You mention wanting a quad bunk camper. Is there a reason you need four bunks? Most units like this have single bunks. Some might find them comfortable. My kids outgrew them around age 12 or 13. I was reluctant to move away from having bunk beds but in our new camper, we have a fold out couch and a dinette that makes into a bed. It is working better than I expected.

Shopping for campers at RV shows and dealers can be a lot of fun. There are a few things I found during last round of camper shopping. I put a few notes of things to look out for on my blog at: https://traveltrailsail.com/seven-rv-shopping-warning-signs/

Good luck and enjoy.

2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living

eend

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would buy a used trailer, those trailers depreciate a lot as soon as it leaves the sales lot, quite often the former owner added a lot of add ons, that already installed and payed for..scoure Craigslist and find your first rev.

2014 Mazda CX5
2015 F150 ecoboost
1993 Airstream sovereign 21
1971 Boler 1300

optimusprime

US

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks so much everyone! That’s very helpful. My tow vehicle is a 2014 Ford F-350 LB CC 6.7. I was wanting the quad bunks because I have 3 youngsters 5,4 and 2 along with my wife and I. Are there brands I should stay away from?

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

optimusprime wrote:

Thanks so much everyone! That’s very helpful. My tow vehicle is a 2014 Ford F-350 LB CC 6.7. I was wanting the quad bunks because I have 3 youngsters 5,4 and 2 along with my wife and I. Are there brands I should stay away from?

You can ignore my previous comment on tow vehicles, with that rig you shouldn't have any worries. ??

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 213k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

optimusprime

US

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks though. I’m sure there are plenty of people wanting to tow a 45 foot gooseneck with their 1995 GMC Jimmy[emoticon]

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toy hauler

This was posted in another forum about FT camping in a modified toy hauler.

The problem I see is that most of the bunks in the bunkhouse design are 24-30ish inches wide. That's not a lot of room to roll over without rolling out of the bed. While the kids are small like yours, it might not be that big of a problem now...but they grow fast.

The benefit of the toy hauler is that the garage area can be dedicated to the kids and all the stuff they bring and since they're all relatively small, you possibly might be able to get all three to sleep on the happijac bed at least for a couple of years if they're not restless sleepers.

* This post was edited 08/11/19 11:00pm by patperry2766 *

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> New to Travel Trailers. What to look for?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS