|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Tire pressure gauge

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joshuajim wrote:

No need to reprogram the tire location. My wife’s Genesis reports the location, not the individual tire. I.e. if you take a low tire off the left rear and move it to the left front it will then report the low tire in its new location without reprogramming. Pretty smart, huh?

Pretty dumb, it doesn't actually read tire pressure, it reads wheel speed from the anti-lock brake system.

Airstreamer67

Pineville, LA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/19 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2015 Mazda3 also uses the anti-lock brake system to read the tire rotations instead of the actual tire pressure to let the driver know there is a problem with a tire. It works on the principle that an under-inflated tire will start revolving faster than the others due to the lessened circumference. It works well.

The other day I found an unexpected bonus to this tire-problem approach. I got a tire warning on the road and pulled over to check things out. I found that all tires all had the proper tire pressure. So why the alarm?

Well, after looking closer at the tires, I found the problem: one of the tires had a bulge in the middle of the tread because of a belt separation. The reason the alarm let me know is that with the bulge, that tire's effective circumference was enlarged, thus causing it to rotate more slowly compared with the others. The system alarmed because of this discrepancy.

Brilliant!

allbrandauto

maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/19 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sometimes the sensor will read wrong. we have a tool that reads the sensor to determine if the sensor is reading correctly. a completely bad sensor will make the light blink

joshuajim

Mojave Desert

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/19 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

joshuajim wrote:

No need to reprogram the tire location. My wife’s Genesis reports the location, not the individual tire. I.e. if you take a low tire off the left rear and move it to the left front it will then report the low tire in its new location without reprogramming. Pretty smart, huh?

Pretty dumb, it doesn't actually read tire pressure, it reads wheel speed from the anti-lock brake system.

You know this for a fact HUH? If so, why does each tire have a TPMS sensor? Get your fact straight before publishing. Don’t guess what other cars use.

RVing since 1995.

Range Maggot Bob

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LittleBill wrote:

I have this one for about a year, reads identical to my hand held digital. it hooks right to the airline and is accurate and can deflate as well while hooked up!

I use this one

That is what we use and is an excellent gauge. Sometimes digital isn't always better than analog.

EDIT: That is NOT the one we use. Looks just like that except it's analog. Just a gauge.

PUCampin

Castaic

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/19 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For vehicles with TPMS sensors, if the light blinks or is on and the pressure is verified good, the sensor is faulty or has a bad battery. My wife's car currently has this problem, the light will randomly come on for a couple days and then go off. Each time it does, I check and the pressures are good. Tires were recently replaced, so I will be returning for a new sensor when I have time. For cars like my Mazda3 that use the wheel speed sensors, there is usually a button on the dash somewhere to "zero" the calibration when you have refilled the tire.

2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!)">

Me"> DW"> and the 3 in 3 ">
DD"> 2006, DS "> 2007, DD "> 2008

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Tire pressure gauge
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS