|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 5,000 mile F150 Ecoboost 10speed pulling 8,000 review

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Procrastinator

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To answer a few of the questions, I try to tow between 68-72 mph locking out 9-10 speeds. My speed depends on traffic, road surface temps, and headwinds only due to gas consumption (I am cheap). My speed also depends on how soon I want to get where I am going. Somedays we did 400 miles, other days we did 600 miles.

I am thinking about adding the Hellwig sway bar, I added one to my 7.3 Excurion.

As for longevity, well its got a 200,000-mile warranty on the drivetrain and I buy and sell my vehicles about every 80,000-100,000 miles not because I need to but because I am normally bored with it.

All in all the 3.5 and 10 speed is a great combo.

2018 F150 Max Tow with 6.5 "long" bed.

2019 Coachman Freedom Express Liberty 292BHDSLE

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Impressive report...

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

tragusa3

upstate south carolina

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

Don't consider 5K miles to be an adequate review of anything concerning longevity. report back in an additional 20K and let us know your impressions as well as what you've replaced, what broke and what you 'think' at that time.

I've towed about the exact setup for 40k miles (towing) over 5 years. We crossed the country and mountain ranges each time. We switched to a motorhome now, but still have the truck with 80k miles on it. Haven't done a single thing outside of maintenance.

Great write-up!

New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Adding air bags, expensive shocks, an over-priced hitch and then limiting water and other weight, seems like a lot of trouble to avoid the proper 3/4 ton truck.

"My wife feels it is one of the best riding set up we have ever had, and she towed over 1000 of those miles and she likes the way it towed too."

That alone makes it worth everything that he did. Honestly, it was close but I like my 2016 F150 better overall than the 2019 F250 diesel that I rented for several weeks. The ride is so much better and the F250 still needed a load distributing hitch even though the ratings said that it didn't.

jbc28

Gadsden, AL

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great review. If we ever go to a smaller TT a F150 EB would be at the top of the list.

2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate
2019 Momentum 381M

kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great review, thanks for sharing your experiences with different set ups including your current. Lots of info that you gave and I’m glad that you did. It answers some of my questions about TT and sway control as well with a different set up. I’m glad that it works for you, enjoy!

A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 10:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad things are working well for you.

Do you think the Ford anti-sway system would be adequate with a standard hitch in place of the Hensley? They are not the only manufacturer using that type of system, I would think there is something to it.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Procrastinator

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/19 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

Do you think the Ford anti-sway system would be adequate with a standard hitch in place of the Hensley? They are not the only manufacturer using that type of system, I would think there is something to it.

I think the Ford anti-sway would be fine for anything but a Hensley or a pro-pride. As you get into the engineering of those two hitches, you will learn about the "Hensley bump". It's important to have the trailer brake prior or at lease the exact same time as the truck. If not you will get the bump. The Ford anti-sway uses the truck's brakes to stop the sway. I don't know if or how much it uses the trailer brakes. All I know is the hitch works great when not handicapped by the ford system.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Procrastinator wrote:

Bionic Man wrote:

I think the Ford anti-sway would be fine for anything but a Hensley or a pro-pride. As you get into the engineering of those two hitches, you will learn about the "Hensley bump". It's important to have the trailer brake prior or at lease the exact same time as the truck. If not you will get the bump. The Ford anti-sway uses the truck's brakes to stop the sway. I don't know if or how much it uses the trailer brakes. All I know is the hitch works great when not handicapped by the ford system.

^What he says...

The Ford "sway control" system (which is really sway recovery) first tries to limit yaw by individually braking the truck's wheels. If unintended yaw continues, it will apply the trailer brakes next.

The Hensely/Pro-Pride are susceptible to the "bump" any time the truck brakes first. The "bump" can actually induce its own steering moment, which was something I didn't like when towing on ice (when letting off the brakes coming into a sweeping turn, the bump could cause sudden oversteer on ice if I wasn't chained up).

I also suspect that cross-wind induced yaw (where the steering moment is created by an adjacent truck blocking the crosswind momentarily) could potentially be interpreted by the computer as sway, when it really isn't.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

riven1950

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/19 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a similar setup using a e2 wdh. E rated tires. MaxMax tow pkg..no airbags and stock shocks. No swaying on 2000 miles to the keys with some pretty good crosswinds.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 5,000 mile F150 Ecoboost 10speed pulling 8,000 review
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS