|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> New to RVing.....please help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stupid things are gonna happen we,ve all done it ,just smile and move on.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is your past "camping" experience? Starting off with a 31' TT without knowing what any of that stuff is, kinda... Well... I don't know!

Great advise from everyone so far and telling you what you showed in the pics are, so I guess you just have to take the bull by the horns and take the thing out and go from there?

No one or any youtube vid is gonna show you how to use your rig over the interweb, so I'd say, try camping in it in your driveway, if that's where it is now, and go from there..

We all had to learn along the way.. Some of us were lucky enough to learn as a kid and grow up with this stuff, but other's just want to jump into the deep end and enjoy, but do just fine! ha, ha... Not sure where you fall in there, but just so you know, I've been RV'g since I was a kid and just got a new 2019 Rockwood 2511 travel trailer and it's all new to me too!!

Gonna have a huge learning curve on this rig myself, and I consider myself a "seasoned" Rv'er.. ha, ha!!

Good luck, as we all start and end somewhere!

Mitch

[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Underoath1842 wrote:

Thank you so much for the help. Any other advice for a first timer?

Surge Protector!! Do not RV without one. Without one, you could destroy electrical components and appliances. You always hook up the surge protector to the shoreline electrical box at the RV park. Do not hook your electrical cord to your trailer until your surge protector indicates that your RV electrical shore box has no electrical problems. It is a dangerous assumption to assume all RV park managers maintain all the RV park systems on a regular basis.

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suggest you go to some RV shows and dealers and walk around a few campgrounds visiting with people before taking yours out. You're really starting from zero and there's a lot to learn. Also, go through the manual that comes with the unit and if it doesn't have one, get one.

Jayco-noslide

gmckenzie

BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MarkTwain wrote:

Underoath1842 wrote:

Thank you so much for the help. Any other advice for a first timer?

Surge Protector!! Do not RV without one. Without one, you could destroy electrical components and appliances. You always hook up the surge protector to the shoreline electrical box at the RV park. Do not hook your electrical cord to your trailer until your surge protector indicates that your RV electrical shore box has no electrical problems. It is a dangerous assumption to assume all RV park managers maintain all the RV park systems on a regular basis.

Or spend more money (and it is a bit of a difference) and get a built in surge protector, like a Progressive Industries one. Only downside is the cost. No question of it being plugged in and protecting your unit, and it does a better job.

There is an even pricier unit that maintains voltage in the unit if there is a drop in the pole. I couldn't justify the price increase.

Also, with the item in the first picture (pressure regulator) be sure to attach it to the water supply and then run your hose from it to the trailer. Otherwise high park pressure can split the hose itself. Oh, and when it starts to fail (water pressure drops to much) think about an adjustable one with a gauge on it.

2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Underoath1842

Storage.....california

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, yeah that one looked kind of ancient

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

surge protectors and water pressure regulators are a must. Not having both exposes you to major repairs should a failure occur. IMHO

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smarty wrote:

surge protectors and water pressure regulators are a must. Not having both exposes you to major repairs should a failure occur. IMHO

Agreed, water pressure regulator costs almost nothing and will potentially stop a flood that will ruin the whole RV, very cheap insurance. The surge protector gets a little bit more complicated but since an RV AC unit alone costs >$1k installed it seems like a good value proposition. The nice thing is that they are pretty easy to install and uninstall if you're handy so you can continue to enjoy them for many years (Progressive Industries has a lifetime warranty), if you're not handy the portable ones provide the same protection in a slightly less convenient package.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try this for your photos

Photo posting

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

Instead of grease on the ball we use several layers of wax paper. Don't have to clean it off your pants...

Use white lithium instead of grease. Go to Amazon and look for trailer ball covers.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> New to RVing.....please help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS